Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Alba ALCD17WTV3

angieb
New User

Jun 13, 2009, 9:02 AM

Post #1 of 3 (793 views)
Shortcut
Alba ALCD17WTV3 Can't Post

I have recently started to lose the picture (just drops to the blue screen) on the main channels of this TV (I,2,3,4,5,) after about one and half hours use. Strangely I could still get minor channels like ITV2 and News24 even then. The situation is now getting worse and I lose channels after 15-20 mins and I have also lost News24 too. Still get ITV2, so the TV isnt completely dead. TV is about 5 years old I think.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2009, 4:35 PM

Post #2 of 3 (786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [angieb] Alba ALCD17WTV3 [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like the tuner is going bad (probably poor solder connection s in the tuner).

What are you using for a signal source? By your description it sounds like you are only using basic cable.

If the tuner does have poor solder connections, you won't want to attempt repairing it yourself.

A way around having to repair the tuner is to use a digital cable box and connect it to the tv through the RCA AV jacks then turn your set to a Video input. This bypasses the tuner and you use the digital box to pick the channel you want to see.

If you want to stick to basic cable you can also use a VCR the same way as you would a digital box, just connect the VCR to the RCA AV jacks on you tv, set your tv to the Video input, connect the cable to the VCR and change the channels on the VCR. -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

angieb
New User

Jun 14, 2009, 11:10 AM

Post #3 of 3 (776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Alba ALCD17WTV3 [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks alot for your advice. I suspected it might be the tuner, reading other posts. I have set it up with the video because, yes, I do only have a basic setup (need an aerial upgrade for digital). I may take it in to a shop and get a quote. I suspect the part might be expensive if it isnt just a loose connection?
Thanks again anyway
angieb

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)