Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Amp vs pre-amp

wonderboy1953
New User

Jul 9, 2011, 8:11 PM

Post #1 of 4 (963 views)
Shortcut
Amp vs pre-amp Can't Post

What's the difference between a tv antenna that's an amplifier vs one that's pre-amplified, i.e. with respect to reception?

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011, 3:35 AM

Post #2 of 4 (949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wonderboy1953] Amp vs pre-amp [In reply to] Can't Post

A pre-amp goes at the head end (Up on the antenna itself) as opposed to an amplifier that goes somewhere near the bottom usually behind the TV or somewhere between where the antenna cable enters the house & your TV.

A preamp is better because of where it is mounted, with it being at the head end it amplifies the signal while it's at it's strongest which give you a better chance at keeping a good signal. If you have an amplifier in line near the bottom the signal is often lost due to line loss in the co-ax and never makes it to the amplifier in which case the amplifier cannot amplify what is not there.

Sometimes these terms mean the same thing; an amplified antenna means pre-amp. If the amplifier is attached to the antenna its a pre-amp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Jul 12, 2011, 3:37 AM)

wonderboy1953
New User

Jul 13, 2011, 10:20 PM

Post #3 of 4 (937 views)
Shortcut
Followup question [In reply to] Can't Post

First, thanks for your response.
I've heard good things about the Kitztech tv antenna (website: www.kitztech.com/). Do you have experience with it?

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 14, 2011, 2:00 AM

Post #4 of 4 (931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wonderboy1953] Followup question [In reply to] Can't Post

IF antenna has broken/missing elements, is corroded or just plain worn-out ... NO amount of amplification will improve.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)