Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Bad Picture

raptorrazz19
New User

Jan 10, 2006, 4:14 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Bad Picture Can't Post

In the last couple of days, the picture on my 36" Phillips TV has gone "blurry". It was going back and forth between clear and blurry, and now you can't even make out words on the screen. Sears is going to charge me $105 just to come and look at it. And I'm afraid it's going to be pretty expensive to fix. Does anyone have any input they can provide? Think they might know what's wrong with it and how much it might cost?

Thanks!

mel
Veteran

Jan 10, 2006, 11:51 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [raptorrazz19] Bad Picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Three possibilities that I see The focus potentiometer in the flyback is dirty or bad, there is an intermittent connection of the focus lead to the focus pin on the CRT or there is an intermittent short in the CRT.

raptorrazz19
New User

Jan 11, 2006, 12:38 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Bad Picture [In reply to] Can't Post

So any idea how much any of those would cost to repair???

rrobor
Veteran

Jan 11, 2006, 8:12 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1299 views)
Shortcut

I want to know your definition of "Blurry" Do you mean the set is out of focus? Or do you mean that the picture turns into a snowstorm and you cant see it for the trash that fogs it out. I have a feeling that its the latter which may be due to faulty leads feeding the TV. So please expand on your fault, take time to look and describe what you see.

raptorrazz19
New User

Jan 11, 2006, 4:26 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Bad Picture [In reply to] Can't Post

The set is actually out of focus. No snowstorm or anything like that. It's as if you're watching TV with your glasses off...if you wear glasses. Does that help any?

Visiting Tech
New User

Jan 11, 2006, 11:03 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1287 views)
Shortcut

Mel gave a good reply. Cost, 2 of the possiblities are resoldering or repairing bad connections, Probably no parts. If the focus divider in the flyback transformer is going bad they will probably need to order the part out so a second service call to install it. That part averages about 20-60 bucks depending on the source.

mel
Veteran

Jan 11, 2006, 11:32 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Sometimes, just wiggling the CRT board or rotating the focus por will clear a dirty connection. If the focus pot is bad, you will have to replace the flyback transformer which is probably going to run about $100 including labor.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)