Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
CTC203CA6

TonyC
New User

Apr 18, 2006, 3:46 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2746 views)
Shortcut
CTC203CA6 Can't Post

I posted a issue with this set last month. It still has a problem with cycling on/off after 2-3 minutesCrazy. After getting a schematic and digging into this deeper the following information is new. From the service menu the error code display indicates an 8=xray shut down. I have gone through this circuit carefully and replaced Q14901 with replacement part number 147665. I still get the shutdown. I lifted CR14901 to disable the shutdown, the set appears to be fine. To date I have replaced the following, the flyback (T14401), HOT (Q14401) and Xray switch (Q14901) Checked solder joints and resoldered L14401,T14401, Any suggestions? as many as possible would be great. I will recopy the original posting thank-you for your help.

Tony C.

Original posting:

M/N F32648YX57
S/N 048421857
Chassis CTC203CA6

I have an RCA set with a problem that originally had the following symptoms:
When power on button is brought in a very loud arching sound comes from the back.
When the back cover was removed, it was obvious that the flyback was the problem by the 2 inch arch coming from it.
Other power off component checks were made with no other real issues appearing to exist.
A new flyback and HOT were ordered.
Both were installed.
Now the set powers up with good audio/video and shuts down within 3-5 minutes. This continues at an increasing rapid rate until it is manually shut off.
The flyback part number that I got through reference was 247718.
The replacement I got is made by TOSEI and its number is 4084.
Are these any good? I was originally going to get an OEM replacement however, this was more readily available. I read a posting with a problem just like this and it ended up being a questionable replacement flyback.
I checked all of the solder joints with a
magnifier and also L14101, nothing found.
I haven’t ordered a schematic yet because I was hoping to not get that far into this one until I asked around. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thank-you
Tony C.

blkwolfpac
User

Apr 18, 2006, 4:25 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyC] CTC203CA6 [In reply to] Can't Post

your horizontal output is causing an excessive amount of high voltage at the anode that could result in x ray emissions. So yourr hold down circuit detects that voltage increase and shut the screen down. look back in your power supply section and see what feeds the horizontal section. i think you might have something that is shorted like a regulator. the hold down circuit could cause a loss of high voltage so you might want to disable the hold down circuit why you troubleshoot the problem...good luck

TonyC
New User

Apr 19, 2006, 4:03 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blkwolfpac] CTC203CA6 [In reply to] Can't Post

BWP,

I'm not sure what voltage qualifies a shutdown, however; I'm measuring approx. 30kv with a BK probe at the anode just before shutdown. Also, with CR14901 lifted, the set appears to operate fine. Do you think the picture would look fine if there was a problem in the power supply circuit? Thanks for your input.

Tony C.

blkwolfpac
User

Apr 19, 2006, 4:18 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2718 views)
Shortcut

do you have the prints on the tv?

I think the best way I would go at this will be to disable the holdown circuit from the flyback and troubleshoot it that way and see if it still shuts down

shadetree
Veteran

Apr 19, 2006, 1:03 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2713 views)
Shortcut

did you use a rca flyback or a generic replacement I've had this same problem with a generic flyback

TonyC
New User

Apr 20, 2006, 1:36 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] CTC203CA6 [In reply to] Can't Post

ST,

I'm not sure what generic would be considered anymore, The flyback RCA part number that I got through reference was 247718. The replacement I received from the distributor had the RCA number written on the box which also had what appeared to be the OEM of the part by "TOSEI" and its number 4084. So it appears that Electronix.com crossed the RCA part number to the "TOSEI" line of replacement, and hand wrote the RCA part number on the box. (the flyback was 21 dollars from Electronixs.com and its part number was the RCA number) I have dealt with them several times in the past and never had a problem with this line of flybacks, except one other time. I had a problem with a Sony set that ended up being a basket case. I always suspected that the "TOSEI" replacement had something to do with it weeks later, so I don't know. What do you do.. roll the dice and buy another or look for something specific like a voltage level slightly out of tolerance? Do you have a recommendation on a specific brand of flybacks? How about HR Brand? Thank you for your time.

Tony C.

coochieo
New User

Jun 30, 2006, 4:48 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2635 views)
Shortcut

tony i don't know if you fixed the tv or not but i know a couple of things that would cause this check R17409 a 47ohm resistor and if that does'nt do it pull the pip module and if tv stays on then it's the module.
ROB

oakdust
New User

Jun 10, 2010, 11:24 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Tony would you be willing to share your schematic? I have the same model with a different problem.
my email is bob@woodandwax.net if you would like to discuss sharing

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)