Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Coaxial problem

otepote
New User

Jul 15, 2009, 9:25 PM

Post #1 of 7 (982 views)
Shortcut
Coaxial problem Can't Post

All right, so I have an old Zenith TV, I can't find what model it is anywhere but the problem is that the Cable is really fuzzy. Like crazy. I've tried multiple cables that work fine on other TVs so I'm guessing it's the jack.

My question is, is there a way to get around this? For example I've used a VCR connected by AV cords and used that to watch cable fine. And the AV input works fine, crystal clear. Unfortunately my remote didn't have a remote, and my universal remote didn't work for it. So it wasn't convenient.

Does anyone know of some sort of coaxial to av converter or some other way for me to get around this? Or should I simply go the VCR route, or is there simply some sort of interface I can use?

Thanks in advance.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 15, 2009, 11:18 PM

Post #2 of 7 (976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [otepote] Coaxial problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately my remote didn't have a remote, and my universal remote didn't work for it. So it wasn't convenient.

Say what?

First, even if the TV is very "hot," if it is 198? to the end of Zenith's existence, there should be stickers with model and serial numbers inside the set (On the bell of CRT, for example).
Is the "jack" a part of the tuner or a short cable assembly? VCR is an acceptable way around.

-------------------------

otepote
New User

Jul 16, 2009, 4:50 AM

Post #3 of 7 (969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Coaxial problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I probably should have proofread my post. I meant that my VCR didn't have a remote.

Anyway, I don't think the model number matters much. The point is that it's f'd.

I didn't really understand what you meant...I'm not a TV tech and I have no tools to take apart my TV.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 16, 2009, 5:55 AM

Post #4 of 7 (967 views)
Shortcut

The Model number on a television is like the "year" of a car. Tell the parts place you need a starter for a Chevy Impala. Well Chevy has been making Impalas for a good number of years. Over the years the Impala line has used many different engines with many different starters. Without the year how can you possibly hope he'll give you the correct one?

Either your jack is defective or the tuner in the Zenith is defective. How does the VCR look if you connect IT to that jack (on channel 3 or 4)?

Which of these most closely resembles jack you have on the Zenith?
"F" connector (example) http://www.mcmelectronics.com/...mages/s4/3858562.jpg
"F" connector as attached to a tuner (example) http://www.mcmelectronics.com/...mages/s4/4126794.jpg
"F" connector as part of a wire assembly (example - Bottom)
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/...mages/s4/3924641.jpg

Universal remote made by the same company as the VCR might work. (Although I haven't seen any "Apex" universal remotes if VCR is an ApexWink)

otepote
New User

Jul 16, 2009, 6:05 AM

Post #5 of 7 (964 views)
Shortcut

I no longer have the VCR, but I remember it was some really obscure brand.

The first one would be it.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 16, 2009, 6:19 AM

Post #6 of 7 (961 views)
Shortcut

You're sure the jack is "by itself" and not attached to a tuner like in 2nd example? (These jacks in any of the three examples had a problem with the center pin getting "spread" too much - usually by a customer inserting too large of "paper clip," "drill bit," even a "coat hanger." In the bottom example the "braid' would detach.)

Can you try connecting a VCR / DVD / DTV converter, etc. to the jack and see if has problem(s) or works?

otepote
New User

Jul 16, 2009, 1:30 PM

Post #7 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

Well "by itself", i'm not sure. The only thing that's extruding from the TV is the part where I can screw in the cable. So I don't know if you're asking if internally there's more :|

I don't have a VCR around or a DVD or any other electronic device that uses coaxial cables.

loooolz.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)