Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Cold Shakyness

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 26, 2007, 6:08 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Cold Shakyness Can't Post

My RCA F27732SB (chassis CTC 169CK5) screen shakes with faint/thin horizonal lines normal color and picture when cold for a few minutes then cleans up runs for 6 odd hours on end fine. Very seldom this happens when hot and when I smack it Hot or Cold, it cleans up right away. Usually it always happens when I first turn on and is COLD.. Would I be safe in saying it is a bad connection or solder joint since hitting it fixes it anytime? Could it also be a short in the CRT that is cleaning up with smacking? I have replaced all caps and still a problem.

ALSO IS THERE ANY RCA GUY that can tell me why when I use the power button to turn this thing off,, it comes back on somtimes? When I use the remote this does not ever happen. There has to be someone RCA trained that know the answer to this...
THANX in Advance...

techchris
Veteran

Aug 26, 2007, 7:30 PM

Post #2 of 12 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bubbasweet] Cold Shakyness [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like bad solder joints to me .if you cant find the area which is bad by prodding around with an INSULATED plastic stick,then blanket solder everywhere.with regards the set coming on by itself,if the switch is a mains switch then it must be faulty,but if its a standby only switch something is activating the microprocessor to bring the tv on.it maybe the front button switches if cleaning fluid has been used and run down into the contacts or the remote may be transmitting randomly.

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 26, 2007, 7:57 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Cold Shakyness [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanx I figured as much.

The TV only comes back on right after I shut it off somtimes. It NEVER comes on by itself out of the blue. This also NEVER happens when I use the remote. I'll try cleaning the switch.

mel
Veteran

Aug 26, 2007, 9:25 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1551 views)
Shortcut

Check the solder joints around the tuner case to ground.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007, 9:28 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1551 views)
Shortcut

I agree with techcris completely about the solder jointsand the tactile switches but cleaning them will not help. Relace-Repace-Replace!

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 26, 2007, 10:56 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Cold Shakyness [In reply to] Can't Post

Briefly how does a standby only switch work? Is it just in the circuit to briefly ground another circuit or somthing? Could it be switch bounce because it's so f*cking cheap?
I have seen ALOT of posts about RCAs automatically coming back on when being switched off and no one seems to know exactly what causes it? I have tried an experiment. I hold the switch down solid for 10 seconds when turning it off and it has not tried to come back on again by itself yet so far.

(This post was edited by Bubbasweet on Aug 26, 2007, 11:04 PM)

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007, 11:33 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1544 views)
Shortcut

I am going to impress ONE MORE TIME! Replace the tactile (micro) switches!

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 26, 2007, 11:42 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Cold Shakyness [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear ya dude. Just wanting to UNDERSTAND WHY a little more rather than just blindly replacing parts.

Franky
User

Aug 27, 2007, 11:53 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1503 views)
Shortcut

About the power switch try to power on with the chassis out.I just had a Ge doing the same thing, and it turned out to be the plastic push buttom and the hole that had grease and kept kinda glueing the buttom not leting it to release, so when i did push it on it got sticky powering back on.

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 28, 2007, 2:32 AM

Post #10 of 12 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Franky] Cold Shakyness [In reply to] Can't Post

They DO build these cabinets and switch assemblies so damn cheap don't they.

Re the shaking, I think I will run it with no back on it (I have no kids or dogs just a girlfriend that will not go near it) and when it starts actingup I will take my very long chopstick and push around near the tuner. Then once I find I will solder.

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 28, 2007, 6:25 AM

Post #11 of 12 (1490 views)
Shortcut

I always was a pain in the rear, I dont agree, I think the thin horizontal lines are your way of describing retrace, I think your dry joint is on the bottom of the G2 pot which is a pin on the flyback transformer. It could also be the tube base somewhere. every one else is describing an AGC issue, and yes its close, but no I dont think you win the cocoanut.

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 30, 2007, 2:55 AM

Post #12 of 12 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Cold Shakyness [In reply to] Can't Post

FOUND IT!! F*CK!,, It was a little piddly white rectangle cap. Right under the Vertical IC.. Wow poking with the LONG wood stick never paid off so much. ALL that work swapping electolytics. I should have smacked it FIRST to see if it was a connection issue then prodded. Thanx to all that helped. I really like this TV and now it had fresh electrolytics to boot. Should be good for a while. Then you'll be hearing from me again. THANX PAUL, FRANKY, MEL and RROBOTOR and anyone I forgot!!
Bubba

(This post was edited by Bubbasweet on Aug 30, 2007, 3:39 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)