Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Convergence... I Think?

tlrrider
New User

Apr 25, 2006, 8:20 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1750 views)
Shortcut
Convergence... I Think? Can't Post

I came into the living room the other day to see my 2 year old hitting the screen of my TOSHIBA 50HX70. The blue projector appeared to have been shifted as there was a blue shadow of everything on the screen. If i turn down blue prjector everything is aligned but now everything is red & green. I performed convergence with remote and went as far as disasssembly to see if projector had shifter but everything was in alignment(as far as i can tell). Don't have the extra cash to have someone come out & fix it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time, DavidCool

dillboy
New User

Apr 26, 2006, 12:56 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tlrrider] Convergence... I Think? [In reply to] Can't Post

if a static centering ring was moved this would cause this look. but more often than not the convergence amp ics (stk392-110) either has loose connections or are defective. with the blue crt controls turned to normal is the shadow of blue on words shifted to one side or somewhat slanted. better yet pull up the convergence menu in your menu and see if the crosshair of blue is + shaped or slanted at all and does the blue move at all even if it is not far enough to make the picture ok.if the blue crosses are notsquare you have bad parts and i hope your up for soldering if they are not slanted at all you MIGHT be lucky let me know.

good luck

tlrrider
New User

Apr 26, 2006, 1:37 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dillboy] Convergence... I Think? [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely slanted and wont come close to lining up. Thanks

dillboy
New User

Apr 26, 2006, 2:27 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1736 views)
Shortcut

2 convergence amp ic's need resoldered or replaced. generic part # stk392-110 this is prob. all that is wrong. but if not good and soldering and desoldering it can be a tough job.

dillboy

tlrrider
New User

Apr 26, 2006, 3:01 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1734 views)
Shortcut

No problem on the soldering, any rec's where I should order part. And do I need 2 of those? I appreciate all your help.Smile

dillboy
New User

Apr 27, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1718 views)
Shortcut

as where to go for parts ? try to look up online possibly MCM Electronics or GOOGLE stk-392-110 ($12-$52 each)it all depends on the part, most manufacturers have there own veriety of this part i personally have found the toshiba original stk392110 is the most reliable. but ideally if you do not have a local place for electronics try your local tv shop they may even break you off with enough solder, solder wic, and maybe apply thermal compound to the back of the ic's for a small fee.

yes you will need two (stk392-110) ic's and some thermal transfer compound (heat sink compound) this is the white stuff between the large heat sink and parts themself. you will need desoldering brade and solder (with lead if you can get it)when you secure the new parts the new compound will oooz out and this is good. try to duplicate in one shot what was on to begin with. im not possitive without looking at the chassis you have how easy it will be to get to the screws holding the ics secure if you have to remove the ic's and heat link together without a fast recovery iron can be extremely hard to heat the solder on the heat sink tabs enough to take it out. and putting back together fitting the 4 legs of the heat sink and 18 pins on the ic takes some practice. after this is done and soldered well chassis flipped back over and all wires replaced the convergence may need a good service allignment but you can cross that bridge when you get there. A lot can go wronge with this job so take your time or pay the man his 400 bucks and if it goes wrong for you you will know it for sure. good luck (UNPLUG IT 1st) LOL

tlrrider
New User

May 7, 2006, 5:55 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Unsure Well I installed the new ic's and the convergence lines for blue are now staright instead of curved however now I cannot get the red to line up with the blue & green. The center of the picture is fine but both side still have convergence problems. What now??????????? More shadowed images
Also the red convergence on right side-center of screen is literally off the screen and only goes up & down

(This post was edited by tlrrider on May 7, 2006, 6:20 AM)

dillboy
New User

May 8, 2006, 10:08 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1664 views)
Shortcut

are you accessing the convergence with your menu or the service menu and was the red the original problem or just blue.check your solder connections real well again. if you are not in the service mode to adjust convergence you need to get there with the original remote is preferred. if you are on yahoo IM we can try it that way sometime.if you replaced both ic's and it wont control youmay have a bad stk. it happens all the time with cheep ones.

tlrrider
New User

May 8, 2006, 11:43 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1660 views)
Shortcut

UnsureI am accessing the convergence with menu button on tv's original remote. I am positive my solders are all good. I did buy cheap ic's on ebay. I am willing another shot. Is there anything else besides the ic's that may have caused this and since symptoms are a little different I wonder if i damaged something else while performing this service

vcrdr12
New User

May 8, 2006, 11:50 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1660 views)
Shortcut

Once again check all resistors in convergence circuit you probably have
an open resistor, value 2.2/3.0/1.6/3.9/ohm ect-all.
a burnt resistor will seem obviously apparent or look ok you must
take a deep look at component level.
your set may have the magic focus option this would mean a visit to your local repair shop.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)