Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Dead TV Sony

jhernand
New User

Jul 22, 2005, 8:46 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2340 views)
Shortcut
Dead TV Sony Can't Post

Last week we had a bad thunderstorm I left to work in a hurry and left he TV on. I came home to a dead TV set. I check power to the fuse i get the 120 ac volts but dont know where to begin i dont hear any clicking when i turn the tv on i have no noise at all when i turn the power on the set. Im a newbie at fixing TV's so if anyone has any kinda tips for me i will greatly appreciate it thanks.

mel
Veteran

Jul 23, 2005, 1:43 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jhernand] Dead TV Sony [In reply to] Can't Post

ONCE AGAIN a model number would help. If nothing at all happens, the problem is in your standby power supply. If you have some basic electronic test equipment, check out www.samswebsite.com and download the Photofact for your model. It will give you a schematic and troubleshooting tips.

jhernand
New User

Jul 27, 2005, 1:41 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Dead TV Sony [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually a Sanyo model number ds19500 chasis number is 19500-01. I went to half price books and bought a book Troubleshooting and repairning solid-state tvs by homer l. davidson. Had a tip in there saying to take the OHM meter and you should get like under 40ohms across the ac plug when measuring supposivly this means that the primary winding of the power supply is good. I did it on a working tv and got 9 ohms i did it on my broken Sanyo and i get like 5 to 7 Mega Ohms. Have you heard of this tip before and is it safe to assume that the power supply transformer is bad?Unimpressed

jhernand
New User

Jul 27, 2005, 1:49 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Ohh and by the way thanks for the site I will download it as soon as i put some cash in the bank card.

mel
Veteran

Jul 27, 2005, 10:19 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jhernand] Dead TV Sony [In reply to] Can't Post

More likely the fuse than the transformer. Check the horizontal output transistor for shorts as this will blow the main power fuse and is a common failure.

jhernand
New User

Jul 28, 2005, 9:32 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2253 views)
Shortcut

The fuse i did check it was good and i was getting power past that but the horizontal transistor i have not checked will do as soon as i get home. thanks again.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)