Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Digital Converter update?

wonderboy1953
New User

Jan 29, 2013, 11:06 PM

Post #1 of 25 (2450 views)
Shortcut
Digital Converter update? Can't Post

I'm finding out that when signals get boosted, you can lose channels. In one case I lost WABC. Restored it by adding another antenna with a splitter.

Lost WFMZ last week. So far it's not showing signs of coming back (lost the signal on other occasions where it did come back). Spoke with an engineer who said the signal was boosted last Tuesday (coincides with when I lost the picture). I asked him if there were other occasions when the signal was boosted and he replied yes.

He suggested getting a more up-to-date converter. The one I have now I bought at the store with the $50 off coupon. What should it say on the box if I update it? How am I assured the picture won't go out again if the station boosts its signal? (btw I'm about 20 miles away from these stations and I live about 90 feet above street level)

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 1, 2013, 2:56 AM

Post #2 of 25 (2428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wonderboy1953] Digital Converter update? [In reply to] Can't Post

Generic info in = generic info out.Smile

Delete ALL channels from the converter's memory and do a fresh scan for channels.

-------------------------

mel
Veteran

Feb 1, 2013, 3:13 AM

Post #3 of 25 (2424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Digital Converter update? [In reply to] Can't Post

JTS

Have you ever heard is signal being to strong?

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 1, 2013, 3:40 AM

Post #4 of 25 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Digital Converter update? [In reply to] Can't Post

No such thing as a properly operated/operating television station putting out too much signal.Cool

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 1, 2013, 6:40 AM

Post #5 of 25 (2418 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Generic info in = generic info out.Smile

Delete ALL channels from the converter's memory and do a fresh scan for channels.

On my box it's called autoscanning which I tried several times, no results except picking up other channels I'm not interested in. To update, the signal on channel 69 disappeared altogether, the one I tried to restore (I also had lost WABC two years ago when the station boosted their signal. I restored it by adding a second antenna with a splitter).

I find the engineer's advice unusual to go out and get a more up-to-date digital converter box to try to fix the signal problem. If I go into Walmart, exactly what would it say on the box? Also how would I be reassured I won't lose more channels if the stations keep boosting their signals to meet FCC specifications?

In Reply To

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 1, 2013, 8:32 PM

Post #6 of 25 (2411 views)
Shortcut

wonderboy1953;.....

Just a FYI;.....

I think the "engineer" you talked to was apparently off his meds...Unsure...(OR needs some !!!)...
EVERY digital to analog converter that I've seen works the SAME way & none that I know of needed an update !!!!
Sure you weren't talking to an "intern" ???
The converter you have may be defective , maybe !!!
IF your present converter IS bad , ANY new converter at Walmart should do the job...
Antennas ARE directional , so IF it's pointing in the wrong direction , you most likely will not get some OR all the channels...
These "new" GD digital signals are a beeyyatch to get on rabbit ear antennas...
Even some outdoor antennas have problems in certain locales..

Hope this helps....Smile...

Later...Ron.M....Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 7, 2013, 7:30 PM)

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 1, 2013, 10:18 PM

Post #7 of 25 (2406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Digital Converter update? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that this tech is NOT the general manager. He did check to see if I was getting 3, 6 and 10 (WCBS, WABC and WNBC) and I replied I did. Then he said he couldn't figure out why I wasn't also getting my missing channel 69, but he did say the station boosted the signal on Tuesday last week which is when I lost the channel.

The box may be defective since I lost two channels after signal boosting (as I had explained I restored one of the channels with a second antenna). I like this digital converter
which I got at Walmart since it has a six-hour menu.

It would be helpful if someone were to suggest a digital converter to replace the one I have. In the meantime, I'll be checking further.

Walmart

mel
Veteran

Feb 2, 2013, 3:11 AM

Post #8 of 25 (2403 views)
Shortcut

I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest RCA convertor for my shop and it works fine with a rabbit ear antenna.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 2, 2013, 10:13 AM

Post #9 of 25 (2401 views)
Shortcut

The one I have now I bought at the store with the $50 off coupon.

Brand? Model? (so I can find the operating instructions online and tell you how to operate your box)Angelic

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 2, 2013, 11:19 PM

Post #10 of 25 (2389 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The one I have now I bought at the store with the $50 off coupon.

Brand? Model? (so I can find the operating instructions online and tell you how to operate your box)
Angelic

Don't know if you're joking since I know how to operate the box.

I wrote the following down:

It's a Magnavox brand
Model #TB100MG9
Serial #U45801530

It's a DTV Digital to Analog Converter
Also says Dubai Corporation, Rutherford,NJ and that it's made in
China.

The channel I lost is channel 69, WFMZ

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 2, 2013, 11:39 PM

Post #11 of 25 (2387 views)
Shortcut

Smile A miracle has occurred.

After pulling off the wiring and reattaching, then autoscanning, my WFMZ came back in. There's more to this story I'll relate later.

EDIT: Channel 69 can come in twice, more exactly 69.1 and it's three substations, 69.2 - 69.4, can come in twice. So I'll refer to the first 69.1 to 69.4 stations as set 1 and the second 69.1 - 69.4 stations as set 2. I can get picture on both sets, no picture
on both sets (where the message says no signal) or signal comes in on one set and not the other.

When I reattached the wiring I still didn't have a picture, but autoscanning brought in the signal (into set 1). I can assure you that before today, I tried different antenna configurations without success So the converter box does work after all (but for how much longer?)

(This post was edited by wonderboy1953 on Feb 3, 2013, 1:28 AM)

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 5, 2013, 5:46 PM

Post #12 of 25 (2368 views)
Shortcut

Spoke further with the engineer:

1) He said the station is going to full power this week

2) He's also sending me, for free, an updated digital converter that has a different chip in it. This should be interesting.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 13, 2013, 2:45 AM

Post #13 of 25 (2327 views)
Shortcut

• When you want to completely refresh the channel
map, delete all the channels, then do the autoscan
again. See "Adding/Deleting Channels" on page 17
for details.

FUNAI - NOT Dubai Corporation - manufactured.

Presume "rabbit-ear" antenna(s)?

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 13, 2013, 2:52 AM)

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 13, 2013, 11:35 AM

Post #14 of 25 (2312 views)
Shortcut

For an update:

1) Lost the picture again which may be for good

2) The converter the engineer sent me (COBY/DTV 102) is worse than my Magnavox converter (less channels and a smaller guide in terms of time - and no WFMZ).

3) Reinstalling my converter gives me all of the channels I had before, except for WFMZ (but another problem which I previously thought was unsolvable is I'm now receiving
complete program info which was previously incomplete)

With the COBY converter, it goes from ch. 65 to ch. 3 while skipping ch. 69 and my converter does put ch. 69 on the tv screen with no picture (shows no signal for that channel). The COBY converter skips ch. 6 (WABC) while my converter does put up ch. 6 with a picture.

The engineer said the signal for 69 is being echoed which I believe since I was able to get it in twice before. I'll try deleting the channels and then an autoscan to see what happens (but I'm not hopeful). A question is would unplugging and replugging the converter be helpful?

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 13, 2013, 9:07 PM

Post #15 of 25 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Tried deleting out all the channels and then the autoscan with no difference. In answer to your question, I use two sets of rabbit ears.

The only thing that improved is my program guide. It appears that a preamp is the solution.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 13, 2013, 10:29 PM

Post #16 of 25 (2304 views)
Shortcut

Would you happen to be less than 5 miles from the transmitting antenna(s)?
Would there be ANY obstructions between your "rabbit ears" and the transmitting antenna(s) [hills, mountains, buildings and also including the metal walls of your "double-wide" or even a parked semi-trailer]?

Don't forget for a preamp: Garbage in (bad signal) - amplified = MORE garbage (bad signal) out.

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 14, 2013, 4:34 AM

Post #17 of 25 (2299 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Would you happen to be less than 5 miles from the transmitting antenna(s)?
Would there be ANY obstructions between your "rabbit ears" and the transmitting antenna(s) [hills, mountains, buildings and also including the metal walls of your "double-wide" or even a parked semi-trailer]?

Don't forget for a preamp: Garbage in (bad signal) - amplified = MORE garbage (bad signal) out.

I'm about 20 miles from the station and about 90 feet above ground.

I probably have less to worry about with respect to obstructions than many people. No thick walls. I trace my difficulties to station signal boosting. An extra antenna has helped, but I need a preamp to further boost the signal.

My converter still senses the signal, but is unable to set up WFMZ now. The preamp I'm interested in has been recommended to me by a different engineer and has a good word on the internet.

I want to say that the stations boosting their signals to comply with the FCC is having the opposite effect of causing me and others to lose channels which clearly isn't in accord with the government having the country switch to digital so that we can
still get tv.

In Reply To

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 14, 2013, 11:24 AM

Post #18 of 25 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Rabbit-ear indoor antennas are generally good for at most 10 miles from the transmitter. For people to live farther away than 10 miles from the broadcast towers, the indoor antenna will still work but you will possibly not receive all the available TV channels.Unimpressed

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 15, 2013, 8:47 AM

Post #19 of 25 (2280 views)
Shortcut

When I had set up the COBY converter, I had lost WABC for a few days, but got it back with proper antenna alignment. Unable to get back WFMZ no matter what I try (the converter no longer senses its signal).

About two years ago my rabbit ears were able to pick up stations from NYC and Baltimore on an occasional basis (but no more I suspect due to signal boosting) which are over 50 miles from where I live.

Do you have experience with preamps?

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 15, 2013, 9:05 PM

Post #20 of 25 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Preamps are normally mounted onto the ROOF ANTENNA itself (or where the downlead has first entered the "house").

Now bear in mind that the signal being input to the preamps will be at its strongest and the preamps will boost this signal that will then be split and sent to the various rooms in the home.

YOU are talking about taking a WEAK signal and hoping that the preamp will somehow CLEAN it up and make it stronger?

For the third time: Garbage in (bad signal) - amplified = MORE garbage (bad signal) out.Mad

mel
Veteran

Feb 15, 2013, 10:44 PM

Post #21 of 25 (2268 views)
Shortcut

You cannot amplify something that is not there in the first place Crazy

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 20, 2013, 3:30 AM

Post #22 of 25 (2246 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Digital Converter update? [In reply to] Can't Post

Got WFMZ back. A certain alignment of my antennas did the trick, but the signal is weak (a test through my converter showed a reading of 17 out of 100).

I must ask this question. An engineer from WABC had suggested the preamp to me so what is its purpose? What does it do?

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 20, 2013, 8:35 AM

Post #23 of 25 (2244 views)
Shortcut

See Post #21.Unimpressed

wonderboy1953
New User

Feb 20, 2013, 9:57 PM

Post #24 of 25 (2235 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
See Post #21.Unimpressed

You will have to clarify #21 for me. The description of the preamp matches that of a splitter. Furthermore you're saying it
is boosting the signal so again I ask what is its purpose?

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 21, 2013, 4:20 AM

Post #25 of 25 (1923 views)
Shortcut

http://dennysantennaservice.com/1136577.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)