Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Distorted screen

Otra
New User

Jul 16, 2006, 5:22 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Distorted screen Can't Post

I'm brand new here, so hiya! ^_^ I have a question that I'm wondering if someone might have an idea about.

I just had to replace my TV, a 27" Toshiba. Every once in a while, it would have distorted color in the top left of the screen, and I thought it was just an issue with the TV.

So after I replaced it, that TV (also a 27" tube) had the entire left side of the screen curled up after a little while in the entertainment center. Due to this, and not really liking the TV I got, I returned it and got another.

So I have a 27" flat screen "Insignia" (Best Buy's brand, but is obviously Toshiba) which has a problem in the top left with the picture curling upwards.

So there's obviously something wrong with this area of the room, and I'm thinking that it might have something to do with a light switch behind the set. It is behind the TV to the left at about the same height as the top of the TV. If it's not this switch, I'm wondering if there's something electrical.

If possible, I would like to not have to move the TV, as this is a great location for it. Does anyone have any ideas what to try to do to fix this issue, or any suggestions at all?

Thank you so much!
=^_^=

techchris
Veteran

Jul 16, 2006, 8:37 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Otra] Distorted screen [In reply to] Can't Post

no big speakers nearby?if not then the earths natural magnetic fields maybe effecting them. try pulling the tv out a metre or so and see if the problem goes. this is a common problem with wide screen tv's especially and can sometimes be resolved with extra magnets on the back of the crt to compensate.Sony had this problem in the UK about 2-3 years ago and supplied round stick on magnets for their crt's

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 17, 2006, 1:59 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Otra] Distorted screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup chances are you got a large speker near it or a magnet of some sort. Earth field issues usually only creep in slowly as hours pass and are never as dramatic as you suggest here. Where I am they are common as there is iron ore deposits. Have had it with a fish tank cleaner in a drawer below the TV so look for silly things like that.

CKL
New User

Jul 20, 2006, 7:49 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Distorted screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey everyone,
My Old TV, A Sanyo DS19650, had the same problem when i put a speaker next to it and the problem went away after turning off the TV and then turning it back on ONCE (and moving the speaker as it was not shielded), but your problem seems to be some sort of device that is not magnetically shielded. Unshielded computer speakers do the same thing to monitors, as subwoofers do, try moving all other electric things away at least three feet and try turning it on and off then. Smile

(This post was edited by CKL on Jul 20, 2006, 7:53 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)