Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Dropped LCD TV

lake_lizard
New User

Oct 4, 2009, 2:06 PM

Post #1 of 16 (2662 views)
Shortcut
Dropped LCD TV Can't Post

I have a 3 month old 26" LCD made by Insignia that was dropped about 2 feet. Now I get no video through cable coax, HDMI, or VGA inputs. Audio is fine. I get a "Please Wait" message that displays when the unit is first powered up, leading me to think that maybe the LCD panel is ok, but I'm obviously no expert. I've fixed a few electronic gadgets in my day, so I'm not afraid of giving this a try. If anybody could share some advice on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

lake_lizard
New User

Oct 4, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #2 of 16 (2657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lake_lizard] Dropped LCD TV (UPDATE) [In reply to] Can't Post

When I power this unit up and look very closely at the display with a good light I can just barely see the picture. Is there a back light on these that can be replaced or is it something else?

Thanks

shadetree
Veteran

Oct 4, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #3 of 16 (2656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lake_lizard] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

should still be in warranty don't mention dropping it when you take it in

lake_lizard
New User

Oct 4, 2009, 3:54 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

No can do. Dishonest to begin with, and besides I already have the thing apart.

I'm fairly certain it the back light, or back lights. Does anybody know if there's one or two back lights on these, and is there a good place to buy them? Are they easy to change?

shadetree
Veteran

Oct 4, 2009, 4:36 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2650 views)
Shortcut

bestbuy has been dishonest with me several times so it doesn't bother me at all

lake_lizard
New User

Oct 4, 2009, 4:46 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, thanks.

I have the back light assy's out (there are two double-lamp assy's). Can anyone tell me what the voltage readings across the lamp connector contacts should be? Just want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the power supply before spending $80 on new lamps.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2009, 10:16 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2636 views)
Shortcut

You are about as sharp as a bowling ball if you are telling the truth, and you should take shadetree's advice!

lake_lizard
New User

Oct 5, 2009, 4:55 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

So... I should lie and take it back when I knowingly broke it. Great advice. Maybe that's why this junk costs 50 times more than it's worth in the first place.

Is my backlight assessment wrong, Mr. Really Sharp TV Technician? If it is, I'd certainly love to hear your constructive input.

techchris
Veteran

Oct 5, 2009, 9:59 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2616 views)
Shortcut

backlights are usually part of the screen and are sold as such so in the unlikely event of you finding spare parts you may be in for a shock when you see the price.have you checked the inverter board for cracks caused by the fall?

Studi
New User

Oct 5, 2009, 10:53 PM

Post #10 of 16 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, you lost me a bit there. No idea what model you are talking about (Insignia, American badged Far East set?) but where do you see the "Please Wait"? Is it on screen? If so, the backlights & Screen Driver must be working.
Give me the model number so I can try to cross ref to a UK version.
UK Plasma & LCD New & Used Parts.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 5, 2009, 11:02 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Studi] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Even worse. Electronics superstore's (Best Buy's) "house" brand.

-------------------------

Studi
New User

Oct 5, 2009, 11:06 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh dear. The UK has it's own shite equivalents. :(
UK Plasma & LCD New & Used Parts.

lake_lizard
New User

Oct 6, 2009, 12:25 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Studi] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

It is indeed the cheapest of the cheap. I guess I should be thankful it wasn't a high-end model costing much more. I feel bad enough facing the loss of $250!

I'm this close to scrapping it. Two new double lamp backlight sets will cost me about $100. It doesn't make any sense to me that four backlight lamps would crap out at the same time, but maybe they're wired up in series or something and one bad one means the whole batch won't work. I've checked the inverter board over pretty good and don't see any obvious damage, but it seems to me that it could very well be the problem, too.

Anybody need some parts?

Thanks to all for the help!

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 6, 2009, 7:11 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Like studi says: you have to have a backlight in order to be able to read anything off the display (without a flashlightWink).
We are talking about the CCFL bulbs themselves? These should show any obvious defects, blackened ends and/or actual breakage.
As far as both "crapping out at the same time," you dropped the LCD TV more than the one time?
They shouldn't. I unplug all but one, fire up unit, and watch to see if momentarily lights (obviously won't "run" this way, but its only a test). Unplug this one and plug in another until all have been tested. (Can also test inverters/transformers by plugging top bulbs into bottom and vica versa). With bulb assemblies out of panel you can even tell if quality of light is correct.

-------------------------

rrobor
Veteran

Oct 6, 2009, 11:01 AM

Post #15 of 16 (2582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

You dont deserve to be helped being so nieve. These things are made in China and are imported for a few bucks. What you paid for is the shop, the warranty and all the rest. That you dropped it, who cares. I worked for a manufacturer and we had radios sent in faulty because the batteries went flat. It cost them more to hire a guy to test them rather than to exchange to the odd idiot. We even had the odd one sent in that was the wrong brand in the correct box. They imported a TV for $60 hit the docks and it sold for $950. To replace was $60 and that was an expense off tax. So who do you think cares, its a built in price which you paid for when buying that in the first place.

lake_lizard
New User

Oct 7, 2009, 1:33 PM

Post #16 of 16 (2565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Dropped LCD TV [In reply to] Can't Post

I might be naive when it comes to TV repair, as this is the first LCD I've had apart, but look at all the great things I've learned because of Super-Techs like you and Mr. Really Sharp TV Guy!

I repair x-ray equipment for a living - mostly industrial cameras and film processors. Didn't know much about LCD TV's until a few days ago, and I'll probably never know all that you and MRSTG know, but I'll bet I have more time on the crapper than you have fixing this junk.

Please do me a favor and "diss" me with a little intelligence next time. Get yourself a dictionary so you can spell, and learn how to construct a sentence.

To all you guys that were willing to share your knowledge and try to help, thank you very much. I'm scrapping the TV. If you want some parts, they are free to the right individuals. Free shipping, too. Contact me through my profile e-mail.

Thanks.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)