Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Element hdtv issues

Sudu420
New User

Feb 12, 2014, 4:46 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Element hdtv issues Can't Post

I bought a 42" element electronics hdtv 2 christmas's ago. It recently has been having issues. When I turn on the tv and try to watch hd channels, it will continuously flash between the picture and a blue screen that says "no signal". It changes back and forth every second or two. This will continue for about 30-40 minutes than will go away, not completely but able to watch the tv, (probably once in an hour it happens). The longer the tv goes without being used, the worse and longer it gets, but if the tv has been watched for a few hours than turned off for an hour and turned back on, it will only do it for a couple minutes before it stops. This had been going on for a few months now and has gotten progressively worse. I recently discovered that if I watch non hd channels or on demand or even if I just sit there with the guide on, it doesn't do it at all. Only occurs when watching hd channels. My dad works for comcast so we got a new box and hdmi cables with no results. So we eliminated everything outside the tv itself.
I don't know much about tv's but have been told it could possibly be the tuner?? Is there a separate tuner for hd and non hd channels? If this is the issue how difficult is it to replace? My dad has an electrician background and I'm pretty handy also so I'm hoping its something we could tackle ourselves. Only other thing worth mentioning which I don't even know if its related to the issue or not. I noticed when the picture comes back on, in the box that shows the source (hdmi 1, hdmi 2 etc) it shows the hd channels are running through 720p and the non hd channels are running through 480i. Before anything started going Wack with it, it ran on the normal 1080p.

Any help is much appreciated and sorry for the long ass post.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 12, 2014, 6:17 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sudu420] Element hdtv issues [In reply to] Can't Post

From the important information that you omitted, I assume you believe that the problem you're experiencing is occurring across the whole of the 'element electronics hdtv' line-up of tvs from their first set made up 'til at least yours. (Like I'm going to be able to even locate any service literature for this 'well-known' manufacturer anyway. Wink)

IF Comcast box and HDMI cable are what are being used to watch HD channels - the TV's built-in tuner or tuners are NOT even being used.
1) Does problem occur when you insert a 1080p signal via any input other than HDMI (Component, DVI, etc.)?
2) Does problem occur when using non-HD inputs (Composite jacks)?
3) Does problem occur when actually using the set's own over-the-air broadcast tuners (Roof antenna or 'rabbit ear' antenna connected to appropriate threaded RF connector)? 3a) Does it do problem ONLY with 1080p broadcast channel(s)?

IF your response is: 'We ONLY use HDMI,' you will need to still try the other inputs. It is part of the troubleshooting process.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 12, 2014, 6:20 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)