Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Hitachi, red convergence

JonT
New User

Mar 18, 2009, 3:50 AM

Post #1 of 17 (3742 views)
Shortcut
Hitachi, red convergence Can't Post

Hello, I have what appears to be a fairly common problem. It is a Hitachi 43FDX01B and has a red shadow, double picture, which is also noticeable using convergence. It cannot be adjusted. From earlier post it looks like I may need to replace the IC, STK392-110.
I took a few pictures and you can kind off see the defect. Just wondering if anyone can confirm. Can I attach pictures to the forum? Thanks for the help.

techchris
Veteran

Mar 18, 2009, 11:13 AM

Post #2 of 17 (3738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JonT] Hitachi, red convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

if the convergence is out then yes, you need to change the ic's. there should be two STK... so change both and check nearby two fusible resistors which may be open circuit as well and need changing at the same time.

JonT
New User

Mar 18, 2009, 2:38 PM

Post #3 of 17 (3733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Hitachi, red convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much for the reply, can I send you a picture to see if you agree it is a convergence problem? I am not completely convinced, because the red line in the convergence screen is somewhat jagged, and not a clean shift. I also notice that there is a lot of dust built up inside this set, can the dust be contributing to the problem? Thanks again for your help.

techchris
Veteran

Mar 18, 2009, 2:56 PM

Post #4 of 17 (3730 views)
Shortcut

you can e-mail me pictures if you like. dust will make the picture duller than normal but wont effect the convergence

mrhenrybell
Deleted

Mar 20, 2009, 11:47 AM

Post #5 of 17 (3711 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]

JonT
New User

Mar 20, 2009, 7:44 PM

Post #6 of 17 (3701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrhenrybell] Hitachi, red convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback. What am I looking for to determine a loose yoke, and how does this get reset?
Thanks again.

JonT
New User

Mar 21, 2009, 3:07 PM

Post #7 of 17 (3688 views)
Shortcut

I am about ready to start this project. At least pull the old IC's out first. Do I have to discharge the anode first? Or will this discharge by itself, if left unplugged for awhile? It would be nice if I could pull the whole board out of the set, which means I would have to disconnect the HV connectors from the FBT.
Thank You

techchris
Veteran

Mar 21, 2009, 6:49 PM

Post #8 of 17 (3683 views)
Shortcut

you dont need to discharge the tubes on projection tv's just remove the board to make life easier. take a photo or write down where all the connectors gp before you remove anything

cardoj73
New User

Mar 30, 2009, 12:40 PM

Post #9 of 17 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Hey JonT! just seen your post and was wondering how you made out on your tv. I have the same make and model ( Hitachi 43fdx01 ) and the same problem with convergence. Mine however involves the green and the red is out of wack! I am looking for the STK 392-110 IC's but it seems they are not available anymore. Is there a replacement? Also, I have schematics and can only find one fusible resistor in the prints. Is this the only one? Or am I missing one? Oh and one more question, I have been having a problem with my tv for years now. It will randomly shut off by itself, have you had this problem with your Hitachi? It just turns off, I can turn it back on and it is ok. I have just been dealing with it! Any suggestions will be appreciated!

JonT
New User

Mar 30, 2009, 2:23 PM

Post #10 of 17 (3651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cardoj73] Hitachi, red convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

So far it is only work in progress, I have the old IC's out, and ordered 120's from electronic repair kits .com. I checked all the circuit resistors with an ohm meter and did not find any shorted or open. I am not aware of the fusible one, also have not had a problem with the TV shutting off.

Jerk
New User

Mar 30, 2009, 2:33 PM

Post #11 of 17 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Download the Service Manual free here:
http://www.electronica-pt.com/...nc,showdown/id,6045/

cardoj73
New User

Mar 30, 2009, 3:17 PM

Post #12 of 17 (3645 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the quick reply!!! Ok I understand, I have many projects coming up lately too! This tv thing has become a priority in my house. hehe. Anyways I found some IC's on Electronic repair kits and say they are manufacturers originals, about $32 for two. Is this a reliable source? <br> Oh and the fusible resistor, according to my prints is the EK01 5k protector, part #AZ00108M Part Description Protector CRXT491005.

(This post was edited by cardoj73 on Mar 30, 2009, 3:23 PM)

cardoj73
New User

Apr 2, 2009, 12:43 PM

Post #13 of 17 (3611 views)
Shortcut

Hey JonT do you or anybody else have a test pattern DVD or other signal generator for lining up the picture to the screen? any info or links would help. Thanks!

mariusz
New User

Apr 2, 2009, 10:59 PM

Post #14 of 17 (3602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cardoj73] Hitachi, red convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

hitachi has a convergence kit for this problem with all the parts,the stk's and the resistors,get the kit that has the stk 394-150.I have done two hitachi tvs for customers so if you replace the resistors(not the convergence ic) with the same values you will not have to go into the service menu and make convergence changes.they are pushing the new 394-160's but I used the 150's and they are still running great.

cardoj73
New User

Apr 3, 2009, 6:50 AM

Post #15 of 17 (3599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mariusz] Hitachi, red convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, mariusz! Yeah I have the parts ordered that I need, the STK's and all the resistors. I should get them next week some time, I hope. I did order the 394-150's as recommended by others on other posts. I just wanted to go through all the convergence steps just to tweek any that may have drifted off a little. Since my green is off, I just wanted to double check its proper position because I did tweek on it a little trying to adjust it.( the beam magnets, yokes ) If you have any suggestions please respond. Thanks again!

cardoj73
New User

Apr 4, 2009, 9:45 AM

Post #16 of 17 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Hey JonT,
Good news, just got my convergence IC's today(friday) so I decided to tear into my TV. replaced both IC's with the 392-150's and also found 1 bad resistor. I traced out my board and you are right, there is no fusible resistor in our TV. So after everything was put back together, just had to tweek the convergence and the picture is almost perfect! Since my green went out, it is not quite centered in the middle of the screen. I lined everything up with the green, so the whole picture is off centered. I guess I will need to get a jig to line up the green, so I can line up the red and blue. The picture is good, just off to the right a little. I have not done a full calibration of this TV, but think I will need to. Just need some help with the procedure, cause my service manual, is not very detailed. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

JonT
New User

Apr 6, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #17 of 17 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Replaced the IC's over the weekend, all working great. Did not need any resistors. Thanks for all the help.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)