Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Hitachi Convergence Problems

waltrip55
New User

Apr 29, 2006, 12:47 PM

Post #1 of 6 (7984 views)
Shortcut
Hitachi Convergence Problems Can't Post

I own a Hitachi TV model 43FDX10B. The other day I found the red cross hairs on the left side of the screen were out alignment from the green and blue. I tried to fix with the manual convergence and/or digital array button. I could get the blue to move but I could not move the red on the left side. I could not even select the green crosshairs to adjust them. I have done alot of reading on this site and it seems like my problem would be somewhere in the "IC's" or convergence board. There is alot of talk about soldering new parts in and such. How difficult is this task? Is this something a novice could tackle or am I better off taking the TV to someone for repair or better yet just the convergence board for repair. The TV is 5 years old, I need to see if it is cost effective to repair or replace. Any help would be appreciated. Also what makes this go off kilter, the TV was not moved or bumped. It has been in its place for 2 years. Thanks, Kevin

techchris
Veteran

Apr 29, 2006, 3:47 PM

Post #2 of 6 (7965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [waltrip55] Hitachi Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

the convergence ic's work as a pair so change both. there are lots of pins so you need a steady hand and good soldering technique but otherwise its not dificult. they fail because they work hard and run hot ,neither of which is good for reliability. they start stk... and are big and screwed to heatsinks.its generaly best to order originals as opposed to generic chinese made cheapies.

dillboy
New User

Apr 29, 2006, 7:56 PM

Post #3 of 6 (7959 views)
Shortcut

this model is known for this and there is a string of resistors on this same pc board with the stk amp ic's on it. These resistors can open up very easily so they should be checked (7 or 10 or so) they will be labelled rk50 rk54 directly behind big heat sink. when the ic's are unskrewed on this model they tend to be stuck onto the heat sink somethin feirce a little love and be carfull not to snap the board with a flathead screwdriver pry both off. They can be very very stuck in this set more than your average model. not easy if you have not done this before and having to buy the parts solder solder wic heat sink compound resistors it may be best to pull the board i think it is a small pcb on the right side when looking from the back and take it into a local tv shop and have them check the resistors and replacee ic's with from my experience the hitachi or toshiba factory original amp ic's it pays off to buy these instead of the generics(high falure rate)the allignment can be difficult after installation but i could talk you8 thru this if you get r fixed good.

waltrip55
New User

Apr 30, 2006, 12:52 PM

Post #4 of 6 (7951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dillboy] Hitachi Convergence Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankyou for the quick reply. My next question would be these IC's are attached by two screws each and I assume soldered to the board. There is no room to get a regular screwdriver on the screws because of the side of the TV cabinet. How can you remove them? Also the board that they are attached to appears attached to the other boards with about 4 or 5 connectors. Are these soldered or do they unclip? I just don't want to pay some TV repairman over $500 or more dollars to fix a TV that might have the same problem again in a year or earlier. I also don't know how comfortable I feel with replacing these IC's and other resistors by soldering on these boards. What has been other peoples experience with the longevity of this fix. Maybe it would be worth replacing the TV that is 5 years old.

techchris
Veteran

Apr 30, 2006, 3:19 PM

Post #5 of 6 (7946 views)
Shortcut

unscrew all the screws holding the pcb onto the plastic frame and take the board out the set. write down which connexions go where before you start. the edge connectors either flip up or unplug. make sure you use lots of heatsink compound(the white gloop) when you fit the new ones to prevent future problems

FixTips.com
New User

May 1, 2006, 7:45 AM

Post #6 of 6 (7936 views)
Shortcut

From the database:
Check ALL low ohm resistors in convergence circuit. Especially Resistors RK50, RK54, RK58 (3.9ohm), and RK62(1.8ohm). Replace both convergence IC's STK392-120. Insure you clean all the old heat sink compound from heat sink and apply fresh compound .

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)