Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Hooking up speakers

ZombieToast
New User

Oct 13, 2008, 10:26 PM

Post #1 of 15 (4207 views)
Shortcut
Hooking up speakers Can't Post

Recently, the sound on my RCA F27664 went out while my wife and I were watching television. We can't afford to have it repaired or buy a new TV, so I thought I would just hook up the speakers from my stereo. I figured all I had to do was hook them up to the Audio Out jacks, toy around with the audio settings, and that would be it. But no matter what jacks I use and what settings I try, nothing works. And there's nothing wrong with the speakers, so it shouldn't be their fault, unless there's some sort of compatibility issue. Does anyone have any tips or ideas that could possibly help? Thanks for your time.

dkdhas3
User

Oct 13, 2008, 10:36 PM

Post #2 of 15 (4206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZombieToast] Hooking up speakers [In reply to] Can't Post

the audio output comes off of a spot in the adio circuit that has no audio like your internal speakers have no audio. some of these rca's had a switch on the back for internal or external, not only the menu option. so check that if thats not the case. you need to use a completedly diff. source for the audio out and amplify that. like a dvd player audio to an amplifier then the speakers and send the video to the tv. cable box same way but you will need an external audio amplifer and if you need the tv tuner to get sound off tv channels with out a cable box. use a vcr tuner and audio out if it has it and use the amplifier
good luck

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 2:41 AM

Post #3 of 15 (4191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dkdhas3] Hooking up speakers [In reply to] Can't Post

zombie, the audio went out. Speakers need audio amplification to work. That is broken in your T.V. Do you understand?????The house speakers won't work on your T.V. Do you have audio output rca jacks on your T.V.? dkdhas3 is telling you how to hook-up a home reciever to get sound.

ZombieToast
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 3:02 AM

Post #4 of 15 (4188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chrisry696] Hooking up speakers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the audio could be completely redirected to the speakers as a replacement, but I guess it doesn't work that way, eh? My TV has the standard Audio In/Out jacks, along with a Video In, s-video, and VCR Control. Unless the Audio Out is what you're referring to, then I don't have the output jacks. I'm going to look into dkdhas3's suggestion and see if I can manage to pull this off.

Out of curiosity...if I transmit the signal to my computer via a TV tuner, will it still be lacking the sound? Or what if it I hook the TV up to my video card with a coaxial or s-video cable? I don't have cables long enough to try this out yet, so I figured I would ask before wasting my money on something that won't work.

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 7:05 PM

Post #5 of 15 (4183 views)
Shortcut

The audio out on the back of set is a low level audio out. You need to put that signal into an amplifier to boost it from 1.5 volts to a large enough signal to drive a speaker. You can get an rca male adapter to a 1/8' female then you can hook-up a set of computer speakers to it. The computer speakers have a built in amp inside them. That's why you have to plug the speakers in the wall to power the amp inside. That's the easiest. You can run it through the computer as well, but I think you don't understand what's happining. The computer still needs the audio out hooked to it from the t.v. So you have to adapt rca to 1/8 jack to input of computer, then you will always have to turn it on to hear sound. The video is seperate and so don't matter. Just get your comp. speakers, take them to radio shack, and ask for an adapter to hook the plug end to a rca female. Remember to check if it's stereo, 2 audio outs on the t.v. you may need a y-adapter to combine to the stereo speakers. They will know what you need.

ZombieToast
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 9:10 PM

Post #6 of 15 (4179 views)
Shortcut

Okay, I get what you're saying, I think. Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try to head over to RadioShack sometime this week and see how much they can help me.

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 9:48 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4177 views)
Shortcut

Good. I forgot one thing. This assumes your t.v. has a working audio output still. Sometimes the sound goes bad before it comes out of the jacks. If that is the case, then you can still do what I said, but instead if hooking the speakers to the t.v., you'll have to do what dkdhaus said and use a vcr. Then just hook-up to audio out on vcr. Either way you need the adaptor. I looked on-line radio shack. This is what you need to do. look-up 42-2551 rca to 1/8" for hooking up your portible cd player to a stereo. Also catalog # 274-883 is a small adaptor doing the same thing. But you will need # 274-274 to plug your speakers into and then attach the other thing in that. it's an inline stereo 1/8" audio jack. Once you see them, it will "click" what I'm talking about. You need 2 rca males to a stereo 1/8" female. You'll have to use 2 things to make it . Unless they have something already in that configuration. I just didn't see it.

ZombieToast
New User

Oct 18, 2008, 12:36 AM

Post #8 of 15 (4169 views)
Shortcut

Well, it looks like I have no idea what I'm doing and neither did the kids at RadioShack. They didn't know what I needed, but I had printed out this thread, so I let them read through it. All they were able to do was refer me to the parts you listed and wish me luck. Sadly, it looks like they didn't wish hard enough. Now that I have these parts, I'm not entirely sure what to do with them.

The only stereo jack on my TV is the VCR Control, so I tried using that and then hooking speakers up to the VCR/DVD, but no luck. I then tried plugging the speakers into the Y-adapter and then plugging that into the TV. Still no luck. And I have no idea what to do with these in-line phone jack connectors. One end has a stereo jack and the other end has a rubbery plastic part that doesn't fit on or in anything.

The best I can get is a little popping noise (it almost sounds like a very quiet helicopter) that comes out of the TV when I try to adjust the volume. Basically, I'm stumped. I'm usually fairly tech-savvy, but TV's are a foreign language to me. I'm going to do a bit of searching online, but unless I can figure out what I'm doing, it looks like I'll have to just take these parts back and save up for a new TV next year.

This may be a bit farfetched, but out of curiosity, do you know if it's possible to hook stereo speakers up to a PlayStation2 and get sound that way? If that would work, I could at least watch DVD's and Guitar Hero wouldn't be nearly as boring.

Thanks for all of your time, by the way.

(This post was edited by ZombieToast on Oct 18, 2008, 12:37 AM)

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 18, 2008, 1:56 AM

Post #9 of 15 (4165 views)
Shortcut

Your using the wrong end!!!!!!!!! Use the other end!!!!your previous post said you have the standard audio in/out jacks. Thats the ones you must plug the male rca cables into. You should have a y-cable with 2 bigger ends that connect to the audio out of the t.v., the red and white ones. Then the small 1/8" jack needs to couple with your computer speakers. You know what, Give me your E-mail and I'll take a picture of what you need and how to connect it. Once you see it, you'll kick your-self in the butt, because it's so easy....It's just hard to explain it in words. I'm going by that you said you have audio -out on t.v. Thats' where you hook-up to. Those are called rca jacks. T.v has female, your y-cable has male. Plug male into female. red and white RCA's. The other end of the y-cable should have 1/8" plug on it. You have speakers from the computer, right. You see the end that you need to plug into the computer? That is the same plug that's on the y-cable. Both are male 1/8' plugs. Now you use the other connector you bought and plug the 2 male 1/8 together using that connector.

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 18, 2008, 2:10 AM

Post #10 of 15 (4164 views)
Shortcut

The very first post u replied to me said you have audio out jacks, right. Now, look at a pair of speakers that hook to the computer. I'm talking take the speakers off the computer and walk over to the other side of the room with them, totally disconnected and seperate from anything. Now just stop and take alook at the little plug that's off the speakers. Looks like a headphone plug, don't it?? Now how are you going to put that into the audio output jacks on the back of the t.v.??????? With the adaptors... Unless for some reason I gave you the wrong part numbers, it should be obvious. Do you understand atleast what I'm trying to have you do???? A vcr has the same audio out jacks, a dvd has the same jacks.....You have to find a way to adapt that little headphone jack on your speakers to fit onto those rca jacks. That's why you need the 2 adaptors. One is rca on 1 end to plug into the audio out on dvd or tv or vcr and the other end is the same thing that's on you speakers,....the headphone jack. How the heck are going to put 2 headphone jacks together????? With the female headphone jack coupler....that's how. Did the light bulb click yet?????? If not, send your e-mail....I'll hook you up.

ZombieToast
New User

Oct 18, 2008, 3:27 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4162 views)
Shortcut

Believe me, when I read your posts, it makes sense in my head. But then I look down at these parts and I draw a blank. What's throwing me off is the #274-274 part. I understand that the computer speakers are supposed to plug into it; after all, it's the only part that has a female stereo jack. But I have no idea what to do with the other end. For sake of reference, here's the link to that part...
http://www.radioshack.com/...ack--pi-2104044.html

If you don't want to click on the link, here's a picture...

That's the entire part, by the way; nothing is cropped out of the picture. The end on the right is what's confusing me. Am I supposed to cut off that plastic tip? Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like it's supposed to be used for extending cords. All I know is that the little black thing sticking out on the right doesn't fit into anything, and although the RCA jacks (and the stereo jacks for that matter) can fit inside of it, the bit of plastic prevents them from reaching the little conductor inside. Maybe they could fit properly if cut that bit off, but I'd rather not do that until I know it's the right thing to do. If this is indeed the right part, then this is way over my head and to be quite frank, it's making me feel like a bit of a dunce.

I'd hate for you to have to waste your time making a picture guide for me, but if you can get around to doing it, you can send it to [removed] ... this isn't my primary (or even my secondary) e-mail address, so I don't care too much about spambots and whatnot getting ahold of it.

(This post was edited by ZombieToast on Oct 18, 2008, 8:39 PM)

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 18, 2008, 6:01 PM

Post #12 of 15 (4158 views)
Shortcut

No, no, no. I f'ed up. Wrong part. The pix on radio shacks web don't show the other end so I assumed it was the same on both ends. Look up part # 274-886 That should be what you need. I'm so sorry. Can you exchage what you bought for that??? You could make your own adaptor with what you have, but you'd have to solder and that's not what you want to do. You nned a 1/8 to 1/8 coupler. female 1/8 on BOTH ends.

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 18, 2008, 6:12 PM

Post #13 of 15 (4157 views)
Shortcut

And this is what you need. Sorry, didn't know how to paste pictures. I figured it out. Wish I did that the first time. Anyway, your speakers have the same end as the one here on top"black" use the other gold thing to couple these together. Then plug the red and white into audio out on t.v. The only thing that concerns me is that if you hear in the speakers of the t.v., alittle noise when you raise the volume, the problem may be before the audio out jacks. If so, Then may have to use a vcr for sound. Also with the hook-up you are making, you can hook to any device and get sound. Be it a vcr,dvd or playstation. As long as the unit has audio out jacks, you can get sound into your speakers with your new setup. Did you try and unplug the tv for a few minutes and plug back in to see if audio returns? That used to happen alot with rca t.v.'s. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if after all this, all you had to do is unplug the t.v. for a minute......let me know what you find. And again, sorry for the mix-up.

ZombieToast
New User

Oct 18, 2008, 8:34 PM

Post #14 of 15 (4153 views)
Shortcut

Ha ha ha ha, wow, I feel really dumb right now. I never thought of simply unplugging it. It never occurred to me that it could be such a simple fix! You're absolutely right, it IS a kick in the pants. Ha, sheesh. As for the incorrect part...there's no need to apologize. I do a lot of computer troubleshooting and I know it's easy to refer people to the wrong parts (or software) sometimes; I've done it a couple of times myself. I shouldn't have much trouble getting my money back for the parts. Anyway...everything is working great now and I want to let you know that I really appreciate your time and efforts. Thank you very much for assisting me. Now my wife and I can stop being so bored at night. Heh.

(This post was edited by ZombieToast on Oct 18, 2008, 8:36 PM)

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 18, 2008, 11:47 PM

Post #15 of 15 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Cool!!!!!!!! Great and glad you got it!!!!!CoolCoolCool

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)