Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 Problem

jackasspenguin
New User

Jan 14, 2012, 10:20 AM

Post #1 of 11 (9009 views)
Shortcut
Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 Problem Can't Post

I got an Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 I'm having problems with. I uploaded a video to youtube that shows what it does, I will add that after about 30 minutes it seems to settle down and starts working properly. So that's what I do. I turn it on and walk away from it for a while then sometimes I can turn it off and on a couple of times and it comes right up ready to watch.

There video is here. http://youtu.be/P92nmPHzi50

Thanks for any suggestions!
Johnny

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2012, 7:09 AM

Post #2 of 11 (8997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jackasspenguin] Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is this will be capacitors that are going bad & are low in value on either the power supply or the signal board.

But this could be a problem with the signal board or Tcon board, it might be simply a loose cable between those two boards.

The signal board is the board with all the RCA input jacks & tuner etc. & the Tcon board is often at the top edge of the LCD panel & may be under a tin shield.

There is a cable that leads between these two boards called an LVD cable. It's either a multi-conductor cable or a flat ribbon cable (flex cable). If it is loose in it's socket at either end this could cause all kinds of video problems.

If you could take some pictures of the boards & email them to me I can point out what these boards are & maybe even which caps to change & email them back to you.

You can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

jackasspenguin
New User

Jan 16, 2012, 12:39 AM

Post #3 of 11 (8994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

First, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it. Also, I'd like to point out that if I adjust the tv where it sits buy rocking it back and forth in it's stand and gently pressing on the screen and squeezing the black case it pops back up. I'm an electronic technician by trade. I don't have any problems changing out the caps if it's not too much of a hassle need them or not. But, I think I'll take a look and see if by chance it's just something loose. There might be a cold solder joint somewhere perhaps. When it's cold and first turned on, it always has this problem. Then after it either warms up or gets jiggled around enough it pops up in correct operation. But, I'll tear into it and see what I can deduce. I'll certainly post my results here either way and may email you with pictures if need be. Thank You Very Much! Johnny

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012, 7:57 AM

Post #4 of 11 (8983 views)
Shortcut

OK I didn't realize you could correct the problem by flexing the TV like you did. This will 'not' be bad caps. I assumed caps in my first reply when you said it would sometimes clear up after it had been on for a while; caps will have that symptom.

There is a 99.9% chance that this will be the LCD panel itself

There are factory bonded ribbon cables (flex cables) that connect to the edge of the LCD panel & the bonding comes loose & by flexing the set like you do it allows it to make contact; it's much like a cold solder joint but in this case there is no solder involved, instead they are glued.

Sony is the most common for this to happen to but this can happen with any LCD panel such as your Insignia.

These cables can be located by removing the metal frame from around the outer edge of the LCD panel & under there you will find Screen Driver Boards.

The Tcon board connects to the Screen Driver Boards & these boards are connected to the LCD Panel & are not removable; this is where you'll see the factory bonding taking place, they are connected through flex cables. These cables are bonded to the screen at one end & the screen drivers at the other end.

Some times you can get lucky & wedge something between the metal frame & these connections such as a thin piece of sponge (just something to add a little pressure to the connection) & hold the cables in place. The screen drivers get hot so use something that will not burn or melt.

Sometimes this next step is nearly impossible 'but' if you can get the set that far apart & still have it run (might have to lay it on it's back) you can press along the edges of the LCD panel & the screen driver boards until you find the point that's causing your problem & that's where you can add something to keep some pressure on that point & then reassemble the TV.

If you can get the set that far apart & still have it run, do not let it run for any more than a minute at a time because that metal frame often doubles as a heat sink for some of the tiny ICs on the screen driver boards & they will overheat & burn out if you're not careful.

A more permanent repair would be to change the LCD panel. The LCD panel, the Tcon and often the Inverter boards are all one package.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

jackasspenguin
New User

Jan 17, 2012, 8:41 AM

Post #5 of 11 (8981 views)
Shortcut

This is what I did. Once I got the back panel off I sat the TV on it's side and leaned it against the table careful let it rest on the metal bracket. I connected the power cable, and the antenna and turned it on. I grabbed the corners and torqued it just a bit to see what would happen. I found out the it would cause the problem in one direction but not the other. So, I emphasized the torque in the direction that didn't cause the issue. Oh, before I did all this I had someone watch the screen as I touched all the cables with a pencil eraser but everything seemed solid. And from what you are saying, I wouldn't have found the area that is loose anyway but, it was easy enough to try at the time.

But, after the day spending time turning it off letting it cool down and turning it on over and over again, the TV is exhibiting very satisfactory results. I can't really say this is the greatest news but really, I just want to be able to use it without a bunch of time or money invested in it. Therefore, I buttoned it back up and put it back into operation.

So far so good! I expect it will happen again perhaps in the future and might even start to malfunction tomorrow. But, since I use it primarily as my music production computer monitor, I really don't want to have it sitting in my WIP area waiting for parts or whatever. It's the only 1080p TV I have. But, hell it might be fixed now! LOL I hope so. I have a ton of other things I need to do. But! if it does start to malfunction again. I'll definitely take the back apart and snap a few shots and email them to you so you can point out exactly where I need to check these non soldered pressure connections! Seems like poor engineering to me but what do I know. On a side note though, I think I'll keep my eyes peeled on a good project repair job if I can find something on Craigslist. Maybe something a bit smaller than 42" as I don't really have room in my work area for a large TV.

Thanks so very much for all the tips. Again, I might have to tackle this job in the future and may be right back where I started. But for now, I'm working on music again and that's really what I want to be doing. Cheers and thanks again for your time and expertise.
Smile

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012, 8:57 AM

Post #6 of 11 (8980 views)
Shortcut

Keep my email handy & if you pick up more TVs let me know & I'll do what I can to help & stay away from plasma TVs, stick with LCD they break down less & are easier & cheaper to keep repaired if they do break down.

With your TV there is a possibility that it was the ribbon that leads from the Tcon board to the Screen Driver boards that was loose.

There will likely be two of these flex cables & they are removable; they are in sockets. The sockets usually have a 90 degree clip holding them in place (part of the socket lifts to a 90 degree position which will allow the flex cable to pull out of the socket).

If it was just that cable causing your problem it will be the cable closest to the side that you are having your issues.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

jackasspenguin
New User

Feb 20, 2012, 10:30 PM

Post #7 of 11 (8900 views)
Shortcut

OK,

So I've deduced that there isn't anything wrong with the 2 inverter boards or whatever they are on each side of the pack of the TV. Cleaned the connectors and really from the problem I'm experiencing they COULDN'T be the issue.

Again, if I press on the top left of the screen and pull on the bottom torquing the TV it comes right up. Otherwise there are lines and fading going horizontally. So, there has to be an intermittent connection going to the panel itself. I would like to know where the connection is. Should I take the bezel off the front by removing all the brackets on the back to expose the connection. I even loosened all the metal brackets on the back, torqued the TV into position and then tightened them back up but it didn't have any effect at all. So whatever connects the panel to signal may be the problem. I'm just not sure how to get to it.

jackasspenguin
New User

Feb 23, 2012, 5:04 AM

Post #8 of 11 (8884 views)
Shortcut

I took the metal bracket from around the edge, used a pencil eraser and immediately found the problem. I taped some cardboard down on the bad section and boom, fixed. Been working fine for a few days now. Thanks a bunch for all the help. Much appreciated!

Repair man
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2012, 6:23 AM

Post #9 of 11 (8881 views)
Shortcut

That's great news!!! Glad to hear that & hope it holds in place for you (try not to move the TV lol)

Learn Plasma TV Repair

MJS60
New User

Dec 9, 2015, 1:31 AM

Post #10 of 11 (3876 views)
Shortcut

I had that exact problem as well but my images were also inverted in color, so I bought a brand new control board from eBay for $50.00. This solved the inverted image problem but not the ghosting on the left side. It was intermittent for about 10 minutes originally then I had a perfect picture and I could sometimes tap on the side the TV and it would pop back in perfectly. It won't do that now. Tomorrow I will dig into again and perhaps swap the two bus strip cables and see if I get a change. If one is bad, I should get a change. If not then I will dig deeper and see if I can wedge an insulator where the cable connects to the LCD itself. This seems to be a common issue with this model by researching it on the Net. I have to say that the TV seems to be of higher quality that a lot of them, still this ribbon cable connection issue is a bad quality and engineering issue. As I was an engineer for a large Taiwan based company before I retired, I'm aware of the common issues for sets built in China. Electronics are generally very good these days, but how the mechanics are put together cause a lot of problems!

MJS60
New User

Jan 13, 2016, 9:03 PM

Post #11 of 11 (3649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MJS60] Insignia NS-LCD42HD-09 Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I was finally able to fix this problem thanks to the information posted above. The problem was in the flexible ribbon cables attached to the LCD itself. One side is connected to a long narrow LCD Driver Board that is part of the LCD itself. The other side is connected to the LCD screen and is laminated into the screen itself, and if this side had a problem you would need a new LCD screen since the connection is internal. There are 8 of these ribbons cables that are just stuck to the driver board. What I did was to heat each connector slightly with a hair dryer. The problem was most likely in the far left cable but I rubbed all of the 8 connectors down just in case the others did the same thing later? Don't get the cable too hot, just a little hotter than warm. Then take the back of a small sharpie like the red sharpie pictured in my first photo, and rub each connection firmly across the entire connection area to get them to adhere better to the driver board again. I didn't need to take the LCD screen completely out to do this but I did need to take the metal LCD frame off to get to the ribbon cables. Took about an hour but when I powered on the TV the vertical line was gone! Fixed!

(This post was edited by MJS60 on Jan 13, 2016, 9:15 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)