Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Interesting Proposition

jacheech
New User

Mar 19, 2012, 4:01 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Interesting Proposition Can't Post

In 2006 I bought a Sony kd34xbr970 34" high-def CRT TV. I've enjoyed it for the last five plus years.

In January 2012 I began having problems with it. The picture would suddenly turn red and the set would turn off.

I had a reputable TV Repair service come in and they gave me a firm estimate of $350.00 to repair an issue that in lame-mans terms - caused the power supply to short out.

Long story short, they have repaired and returned the set three times since January and each time the exact condition returns after about a week of normal use.

This morning they offered to "fix" it a fourth time and I expressed that I was not interested in going through the process again.

In response they offered to make it right by exchanging my SONY TV for a "new floor model" Samsung LN-T4066FX 40" LCD TV.

I googled this TV and it appears to be a 2007 release, and a high-quality one at that, however since this TV isn't in production any more, there is not a lot of information about it available online.

Would someone with some background on the Samsung TV be kind enough to please give me their opinion on whether this deal is "too good to be true"? It seems to me like it is...

Thanks for reading,

Joe

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 19, 2012, 9:14 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacheech] Interesting Proposition [In reply to] Can't Post

jacheech;....

NO "reputable TV Repair" shop fixes any TV 3 TIMES & STILL does NOT have the problem solved...
DEMAND your money back & move on...
You should have gotten a warranty with that "repair" & they should be held accountable...
IF they refuse , take action against them...
Report them to the BBB AND a state consumer help organization...
Worse comes to worse , file a claim in Small Claims Court for a refund because they had the set 3 TIMES & enough is enough , you want your money back...
I would not accept the time of day from those people...
They LIED to you about the "new floor model" they want to give you...
Based on what they've done so far , what are they going to do when the "allegedly" "new floor model Samsung LN-T4066FX 40" LCD TV" craps out & believe me , it WILL...

The picture would suddenly turn red and the set would turn off.

This IS NOT A POWER SUPPLY problem !!!

GOOD LUCK....Sly...

Have a GREAT day & week....Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

mel
Veteran

Mar 20, 2012, 12:06 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1052 views)
Shortcut

What you describe is the classic symptom of a heater to cathode short in the CRT. If you have any soldering skills, it can be repaired by creating a floating heater for the CRT which you can find the instructions for by a little internet search. As concerning the Samsung, a NEW floor model that is still around since the 007s, not likely. It is probably one that they took in for repair and was not picked up by the customer. Even so, used it is probably still worth the $350 exchange.

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 20, 2012, 1:10 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Interesting Proposition [In reply to] Can't Post

mel;....

This guy got RIPPED off & you are telling him to fix it himself ?????
Don't you think he should get his money back FIRST & then either try to fix it himself OR get another TV from a "REAL REPUTABLE TV store ????
Fixing it himself & also being out $350 is not my definition of fairness...
Certainly NO way to do business !!!!...
IF you think that swapping your TV for a 5 year old Samsung LCD TV that WILL give you a problem SOON , from a shop that just RIPPED you off , for $350 , is a good idea (or deal) then PLEASE allow me to sell you some land I own in Florida...
How much trust are you willing to put up for repairs on the Samsung by the shop that just RIPPED you off ???
This TV shop needs a comeupance !!!
NO way would I do any more business with them if they RIPPED me off for $350....
Common sense , sir...

Have a GREAT day & week....Sly...

Later..Ron.M....Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

mel
Veteran

Mar 20, 2012, 4:12 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Interesting Proposition [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not suggesting that he repair the set himself and let these shysters off the hook. What I was suggesting that that he take the Samsung and he could repair the Sony and have a second set. I don't know what the economy looks like in his area, but around here the $350 was more than the set itself was worth in the first place. He can fight to get his money back and if successful take the money and spend it on another unknown used set or put some money with it and buy new. In any case, the answer to his original question is that the deal is not to good to be true.

(This post was edited by mel on Mar 20, 2012, 4:08 PM)

jacheech
New User

Mar 20, 2012, 3:15 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1028 views)
Shortcut

Mel and Ron,

Thanks for replying. In my original post I neglected to state that the repair company has been very courteous about this situation. They actually would prefer I allow them to take my TV back and make the repair correctly. Though the process has been very frustrating, they have been in constant communication with me, their techs and delivery people have been very polite and they have been very remorseful about the whole situation. It was only when I stated that I've reached my breaking point that they offered the TV, which I went down and took a look at myself. The origin of the TV was that it was a left-over from PC Richards that was sitting in their warehouse. It got into the repair company's possession because they do warranty work for PCR and elected to take the new TV in exchange for an unpaid repair bill.

The issue for which I'm soliciting opinions on is not whether the repair company are crooks, but if getting a new (5-year) old Samsung, is better than having my 6 year old Sony fixed. It seems to me that the deal is a little too good to be true based on my evaluation of the model I'm getting; it appears to be a higher quality one than I'm giving up, especially considering that the one I'm giving up has lots of mileage and has had this problem 3 times.

Thanks again, so much for your responses and I welcome your responses, now that I've given you a more accurate depiction of the facts.

jacheech
New User

Mar 20, 2012, 3:22 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1026 views)
Shortcut

p.s., they are also offering a six-month warranty on the replacement TV. I believe they are honestly trying to make me satisfied for what has transpired.

During this whole process, they've made their repair and have had the TV running in their shop for hours at a time without the problem occurring, it seems to only recur after I have the TV in my house for about a week.

Any thoughts as to if there is something in my house that is causing the problem? I've got a pretty-high-end surge protector on the TV and haven't had a problem with any of the other components (DVR, Receiver, DVD, Game System).

mel
Veteran

Mar 20, 2012, 4:32 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1023 views)
Shortcut

The problem with an intermittent failure is that it is just that and a techs worst nightmare. You can never tell when it will pop up. If it is an internal short in the CRT, sometimes you can cause it to happen by tapping the neck of the tube. If that is the problem, I doubt that they will touch it because it actually involves modifying the circuit rather than just fixing it. Another fact to consider is that Sony Trinitron tubes seem to have a limited emission life cycle and yours is bordering on that edge depending on how much you use it. Bottom line is, in my opinion considering all of the facts, I would I would go for the trade.

jacheech
New User

Mar 20, 2012, 6:02 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1021 views)
Shortcut

Thanks, Mel. Spoke it over with the wife and we are going for the trade-in.

I'll post a status update once we have the new TV, just in case anyone is curious.

Both Ron and Mel, I thank you for your time!

jacheech
New User

Apr 4, 2012, 6:01 PM

Post #10 of 10 (901 views)
Shortcut

Just to close the loop on this discussion, we've had the replacement TV for about two weeks now and we are very pleased with it.

Thanks again for the earlier responses.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)