Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
LCD Failure

mustang1967
New User

Mar 6, 2013, 2:18 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1163 views)
Shortcut
LCD Failure Can't Post

Hi folks, I am new to this forum and have an issue and would like to kindly ask for opinion on the issue.

I have a Vizio GV47LFHDTV10A. The set is about 6 yrs old and recently it went out. Noises were heard from the back of the set and then all of a sudden picture went black and orange lights on front of the set stayed on.

We basically only have 1 tv repair person in our area and he has somewhat of a less than stellar reputation that is why I am asking you experts.

Anyway, repair guy arrived and spent about 45 mins at the house and here is what he did. After taking the back off he proceeded to check the power supply voltages, then pulled out what appeared to be a make shift mini wire connector. He said he was going to use it to jumper pins on the power supply to check if the lcd board lights. First jumper he was able to get the lights on the front to turn off and clicking noise was heard from the power supply. Next jumper, he said would actually light the lcd panel but, no lights were seen. He said that wasn't good. He then ran another jumper and checked some items on the main board. Fuses and some flat black items he said were regulators. He claimed that everything checked on the main board and believes the LCD panel is shot and that is what is keeping the main board in protection mode.

Does all this make sense? Obviously I am not going to shell out $400-$600 for a new panel but I would like to be reasonably sure it's not just a faulty board.

It's kind of frustrating that after only 6 yrs this $1300 tv has taken a crap. Still have a Zenith and a Magnavox approaching 20 yrs that still work good and never needed repair.

Thanks for listening.

DiodeDan
New User

Mar 8, 2013, 12:36 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mustang1967] LCD Failure [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't question the thought process so much as the methodology. Not really sure what he was doing with the jumpers and you certainly cannot tell if a main board is bad simply by only checking regulators.

The newer sets (lcd, led, plasma) may have a better picture, that maybe the only good thing about them because they certainly haven't stood the test of time. It is not uncommon to see these sets fail after 5yrs of service. You are not alone and it's not only the brand you purchased. Unfortunately you purchased your set just before prices dropped.

mustang1967
New User

Mar 11, 2013, 12:12 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DiodeDan] LCD Failure [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Diode. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. As it turns out, the wife wants a new set so, you know how that goes............the wife gets a new set.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)