LG Power cycling

bg0402
New User

Feb 10, 2012, 7:16 PM

Post #1 of 4 (4491 views)
Shortcut
LG Power cycling Can't Post

Hello, thanks in advance for any help,

I have an LG 32LD550-UB. It is just over a year old and as luck would have it, has started giving me problems now that it's out of warranty.

The TV keeps power cycling - turning off and on by itself - whenever ANY input is plugged into it and running. At first it did not happen very often, maybe once every couple of days, but now it has gotten to the point where it will not stay on at all.

The TV will stay on if there is no input. For example I have a PS3 connected, and when it is off I can turn the TV on and it will not look like it has any other problems. As soon as I turn the PS3 on, it will power cycle continuously.

I opened it up and there are no visible problems with the main board or the power supply. I called LG and tried a factory reset as well as a hard reset. I tried keeping it unplugged for a week, all to no avail. From doing some internet research I've read might need a new power supply, and if anyone can provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

(This post was edited by bg0402 on Feb 10, 2012, 7:21 PM)

bg0402
New User

Feb 13, 2012, 9:20 PM

Post #2 of 4 (4441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bg0402] LG Power cycling [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost 50 views and no takers..? bump. Help, please! New power supply, or new main board?

Well, with my very limited knowledge on repairing TVs, I figure the most I could do in any case is to either replace the power supply or the main board. I'm leaning towards the power supply first, unless anyone might say different. Just in case anyone is curious, I'll post some results as well...

mel
Veteran

Feb 13, 2012, 9:30 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bg0402] LG Power cycling [In reply to] Can't Post

I can not find any technical info on this model but this symptom displayed on other brands has been caused by the power supply shutting down as a protection from a problem downline. In this case it seems a 50/50 chance of being either board but I would lean toward the main board. It might be cheaper in the long run to have a qualified tech check it out.

bg0402
New User

Feb 14, 2012, 4:15 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] LG Power cycling [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm... changes my thinking a bit. i'll try the main board, the more i think of it the more it seems that might be the problem. i haven't gone to a tech yet because i only paid like 350 for the tv... i'm afraid the tech would be expensive, in which case i would be better off just getting a new tv!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)