Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Mitsubishi Technician Challenge!

rkerby
New User

Jan 4, 2006, 3:53 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1798 views)
Shortcut
Mitsubishi Technician Challenge! Can't Post

I have had this question posted here and other sites and I have been told that it will be hard to determine the problem based on the picture I have below. The problem that I am having has to do with the convergence of my Mitsubishi VS-45501. This is my first time to work on a TV...so any help is much appreciated. I was told by a technician that all 3 tubes would have to be replaced??? Could STKs be the problem and if so where would I look to find their part number? I have tried to adjust the convergence but the red CRT would not adjust high enough to align with the cross hair. However the red CRT does go further down the screen than the blue CRT. Leading me to believe that the range of the convergence adjustment isn't the issue but rather the placement of the red CRT is the issue. Is there someway to manually 'aim' the CRT...as it seems to be pointing to low on the screen. Even if the alignment of the CRT is adjustable there still is the problem of the hourglass effect taking place in the red and blue colors. Also, where could I find schematics for this TV...assuming I will need them to fix this problem. Here is a picture of what the TV is doing.

kuhurdler
User

Jan 5, 2006, 9:00 PM

Post #2 of 12 (1774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rkerby] Mitsubishi Technician Challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

Replace the STK chips first, because its cheap. More than likely it could solve your issue. and don't even consider physically moving the CRTs. It looks like the Blue convergence is the problem to me, not the red. But replace all the STK chips at the same time regardless.

-RiddledTV.com
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/

(This post was edited by kuhurdler on Jan 5, 2006, 9:02 PM)

rkerby
New User

Jan 5, 2006, 9:47 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kuhurdler] Mitsubishi Technician Challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

I sincerely appreciate your reply...

I am having trouble finding the STK chips on this TV... I was told that they are attached to the large heat sink??? The largest heat sink that I have is mounted to the chip board that is standing on its edge on the right hand side of the picture...but there is nothing mounted to it. By looking at the picture could you help me identify the STK chip/s. I have NO IDEA what I am looking for. Thank you for your help.

rkerby
New User

Jan 5, 2006, 10:23 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Here is the picture...where are the STKs?????

canhelp
New User

Jan 6, 2006, 1:51 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1753 views)
Shortcut

1, you are a smart guy. Sly

2, CRTs good

3, looks like convergence ICs good

4, check waveforms of digital convergence board.

I can not tell you any more detail, otherwise ...

canhelp
New User

Jan 6, 2006, 2:32 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [canhelp] Mitsubishi Technician Challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

See, I am right. not only me to say you are smart guy. rrobor said so.

Free Games Forum: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Mitsubishi Technician Challenge!

Print Thread

rrobor
User

Jan 4, 2006, 7:02 PM

Post #1 of 2 (31 views)
Copy Shortcut
Report Post to Moderator
Mitsubishi Technician Challenge! Quote | Reply
When we become too smart it seems we defeat ourselves, TV challenge, how droll, if you are looking for intelegent answers, dont treat people as morons. We all know whats wrong with your TV, now say sorry and see if you get an answer.

rkerby
New User

Jan 6, 2006, 4:11 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [canhelp] Mitsubishi Technician Challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well thanks for the complement...Unimpressed...but I am not smart enough to know how to check the digital convergence board...could you offer any help? Just for my understanding...what is it about the screen appearance that leads you to believe the ICs are OK?

Also I found the STKs they are on the bottom side of the heat sink...for a VS45501 they are STK391-020. They are mounted AGAINST the heat sink...I misunderstood them to be mounted to the heat sink.

Jturvy03
New User

Jan 16, 2006, 1:28 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1678 views)
Shortcut

I have the same tv. it has the same problem one of the stk on the convergence board is the problem. For a manual you can get it here http://www.servicemanuals.net/...99&model=vs45501. I also have a power problem if you know about fixing that it would help.

rrobor
Veteran

Jan 16, 2006, 11:16 AM

Post #9 of 12 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Heatsinks are large lumps of metal used to remove as much heat as possible so as heat rises its often that heatsinks are clamped on top of ICs. The pentium chip in a computer for example is under one. You have red blue and green and they seem fine so your tubes are OK. It will be the ICs but you may have resistors feeding them shot as well so its a strip and check job. Do not adjust anything, the new ICs will be almost the same as what it was before, so if you replace them and its still way out its feeds faulty due to the old ICs failing. If you adjust then you make it harder for a repair.

opalae
New User

Jan 17, 2006, 6:46 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Can't help with the TV--Hope your making progress. But can you tell me how you attached your pictures to your post. I can't seem to get a jpeg to display.

thanks,

Easy Ed

rkerby
New User

Jan 17, 2006, 8:40 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [opalae] Mitsubishi Technician Challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have fixed the TV...replaced STKs and it works like a charm.

In order to display a pic you will need to upload them to a website that will store your pictures for free. I believe that kodak.com has a feature that will do that. Once you have it upload there, you begin creating a new post and select the picture frame in the toolbar. There it will allow you to copy and paste a link to picture you saved at that website. You might just be able to paste the link directly into the body of the post. Hope this helps

opalae
New User

Jan 18, 2006, 3:23 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Glad it's fixed. thanks for the help on posting pictures. will try thru kodak since I use their software/camera.

EE

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)