Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
New Broadcast TV

Reddaddy
New User

Jun 15, 2009, 4:37 PM

Post #1 of 6 (951 views)
Shortcut
New Broadcast TV Can't Post

I have a digital TV and an old analog TV (works fine). I get Dish Network without any broadcast channels. Analog set is just a satellite to digital. My broadcast TV has been outside antenna for digital set and rabbit ears for analog. With switch over to all digital broacasting, I only get Fox broadcast (good quality reception) on my digital set.. On the analog set I do not even get Fox. But, I do get a few non-network channels with moderate reception. I can sign up with Dish to get the network stations, but I would still be missing a couple of local channels I like. These two channels do not come in at all on my analog set.

Any clarifications or suggestions would be appreciated.

jasonbird
New User

Jun 16, 2009, 2:36 AM

Post #2 of 6 (936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reddaddy] New Broadcast TV [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have a digital TV and an old analog TV (works fine). I get Dish Network without any broadcast channels. Analog set is just a satellite to digital. My broadcast TV has been outside antenna for digital set and rabbit ears for analog. With switch over to all digital broacasting, I only get Fox broadcast (good quality reception) on my digital set.. On the analog set I do not even get Fox. But, I do get a few non-network channels with moderate reception. I can sign up with Dish to get the network stations, but I would still be missing a couple of local channels I like. These two channels do not come in at all on my analog set.

Any clarifications or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think we have the same problemmmmmmm,
Hope next one will resolve it~!

WinkWink
Cheap Ed Hardy

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 16, 2009, 8:15 AM

Post #3 of 6 (932 views)
Shortcut

Whichever set is connected to Dish Network should still be working exactly as it was before in regards to Dish Network (unless you changed a setting or the wiring).

Let me know if I'm misinterpreting...

I have a digital TV and an old analog TV (works fine).

You have a set that's capable of tuning over-the-air digital stations WITHOUT a converter box (if connected to a sufficient antenna and set-up correctly) AND you have a set that MUST use a DTV converter box), both sets work fine.

I get Dish Network without any broadcast channels.

You have been required to get ALL local/network stations (on both sets) with your own antenna, be it "outside" or "rabbit ears."

Analog set is just a satellite to digital.

? Not sure what you mean ? (Maybe this is where the Dish Network is connected? Otherwise - Where is it connected?)

My broadcast TV has been outside antenna for digital set and rabbit ears for analog.

You use an outside antenna on the Digital set and rabbit ears on the analog one.

With switch over to all digital broadcasting, I only get Fox broadcast (good quality reception) on my digital set..

Do I presume you have changed the digital set's signal source in its menu from "analog" to "digital" and done a auto-programming channel scan - or that it's still set to "analog" and your Fox broadcast station is STILL transmitting "analog" like here in Chicago?

On the analog set I do not even get Fox. But, I do get a few non-network channels with moderate reception.

This would tend to indicate that your Fox broadcast station HAS STOPPED transmitting "analog" and the non-network shows are low-power television stations (LPTV); Class A; and TV translator stations.

I can sign up with Dish to get the network stations, but I would still be missing a couple of local channels I like.

Dish Network offers the network station package, for a small fee I'll bet, but all or some local channels are not included.

These two channels do not come in at all on my analog set.

Lost in the Transition. You NEVER state that you have a Digital Converter box, how its connected, nor to which set its connected, if either.

As in BOLD above: You must have a fairly new, not torn up, pointed in the correct direction, etc., antenna.

Remember that if you had trouble with a particular channel in the past, you may have trouble NOW. Also, some stations remained on the same RF channel, some moved. For example, here in Chicago, if you had NO PROBLEM receiving RF channel 11 AND you DID have problems receiving channels 44 and 50 BEFORE the transition ... Channel 11 is NOW on RF channel 47. Right between the two channels with reception problems.

See also:
http://www.dtv.gov/

-------------------------

Reddaddy
New User

Jun 16, 2009, 7:07 PM

Post #4 of 6 (926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] New Broadcast TV [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I have no problem with Dish. I have no problem with either set or their antennas. My Dish DVR is hooked up to the digital set. I see on my analog only whatever is on from Dish on my digital set. Could not find any digital <=> analog choice in my JVC AV-20F475 manual. But of course my Dish remote has satllite and broadcast separated. I have not had a problem with any particular signal in the past. Evidently Fox is still broadcasting in RF.

Part of my confusion is the PSAs for the upcoming transfer to digital always said if you have cable or satellite no action is required.

Is the answer:

1) Get a DTV for my anolog set.

2) Subscribe to the network channels from Dish for my digital.

3) Look at the local channels on my analog set?

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 17, 2009, 1:48 AM

Post #5 of 6 (920 views)
Shortcut

You'll need a converter box for the JVC:

(CNET archive)
TV Tuner
Analog TV Tuner
NTSC
Stereo Reception System
MTS
Analog Channel Presets
Channel Coverage
VHF:2-13 , Cable:1-125 , UHF:14-69
Secondary Audio Program (SAP)
Yes

Reddaddy

With switch over to all digital broadcasting, I only get Fox broadcast (good quality reception) on my digital set..

Do I presume you have changed the digital set's signal source in its menu from "analog" to "digital" and done a auto-programming channel scan - or that it's still set to "analog" and your Fox broadcast station is STILL transmitting "analog" like here in Chicago? (ONLY showing 24hr info on the conversion)

If you still receive your Fox station right now on the JVC Analog tuner, then they ARE still broadcasting in analog.

-------------------------

Reddaddy
New User

Jun 17, 2009, 5:27 PM

Post #6 of 6 (914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] New Broadcast TV [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957 &lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt;Thanks again for information. I have contacted JVC and Dish. I learned: &lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt;*My main TV set has no digital tuner, after all, and I would have to buy a DTV for it to get local channels. &lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt;*Subscription to Dish local channel coverage has been expanded to now include more local channels, including the two non-network channels I like. &lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt;So, I have subscribed for $5.00 per month. Sorry to have taken your time. I was just misled by the PSA's claim that if you have satellite nothing need be done. &lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt;Thanks again for your time. &lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt;Reddaddy &lt;br&gt;

(This post was edited by Reddaddy on Jun 17, 2009, 5:38 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)