Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Odd Question

rdagijones
New User

Jul 24, 2010, 12:28 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2107 views)
Shortcut
Odd Question Can't Post

I have a Panasonic TH-50PZ80U on which I am working. It did not come with a VGA port on it. I was looking at an A Board (Main Board), part #TNPH0721. It seems that a Panasonic TH-42PZ85U uses the same A Board (Part #TNPH0721) but it HAS a VGA port on it. If I get this board could my TV actually have a working VGA port in my TV? I guess the real question is what components on the tv allow for a VGA port to work? Is it only the A Board? I even checked both models and they both use the exact same logic board (D Board), if that has any affect on the issue. The TV does not need an A Board but I would get it if it would give me a VGA port. Our office has a number of visiting speakers with laptops. That VGA port would be a real help. Wink

techchris
Veteran

Jul 24, 2010, 9:00 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rdagijones] Odd Question [In reply to] Can't Post

it may be that it has the port but it is covered with a blanking piece as part of the back cover. look inside to see.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 25, 2010, 12:44 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2092 views)
Shortcut

What about the differing Suffixes? (A_S)

http://www.shopjimmy.com/...h/result/?q=TNPH0721

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 25, 2010, 3:14 AM)

rdagijones
New User

Jul 25, 2010, 2:20 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Odd Question [In reply to] Can't Post

As for a "hidden" port ... the A Board currently in my Panasonic TH-50PZ80U has a "blank" where the VGA port is suppose to be but there is no port. There are actually no copper tracks to connect the "blank" into the circuits of the A Board either. One could not solder a VGA port to the board and make it work.

The full part number of my A Board is TNPH021 3A. I will have to contact the guy who has the other board to find out its suffix. I purchased a D (logic) board for my tv and it is the same one used by the 42" tv. It worked fine, even though the handwritten suffixes on the boards where different. I thought the suffixes where simply release versions of a board. Panasonic did not need the suffix to order a D (logic) Board.

Does anyone know what boards are used to make a VGA port work in a TV? Crazy

becyn
New User

Jul 27, 2010, 2:07 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2065 views)
Shortcut

I think you are asking for trouble with this idea.
1) manufacturers are cheap. If the port is not on the board, then chances are the support circuitry isn't there either.
(if it is, you would have to change the "option" in the service menu", but this could have other unknown consequences!)
2) A different board will have different firmware which may not be compatible with the rest of the set.

The best solution would be to get a PC card with an hdmi output , rather than redesigning a set a that you didn't design in the first place. Too many unknowns...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit McVey Electronics for TV Repair!

darstr
User

Jul 30, 2010, 11:46 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2051 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The full part number of my A Board is TNPH021 3A.

CrazyThis # is not the part#. It is simply the # of the style of board they use. They can use 1 board and put many different versions on it. That is why you see 1 with a port and 1 with out. Same style, wrong set up.

rdagijones
New User

Jul 30, 2010, 7:50 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Odd Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you give me some hints as to where I can find the actual part number on my A Board?

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 30, 2010, 9:11 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2043 views)
Shortcut

The Service Literature?
An authorized Panasonic parts distributor?Wink

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 30, 2010, 9:12 PM)

rdagijones
New User

Aug 7, 2010, 2:17 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Odd Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually the entire question became a non issue. The board that they sent me did NOT have a VGA port Crazy I decided to put it in the TV anyway and it turned out to fix the whole problem with the TV that I had been trying to fix through other means. Oh well. Thanks for all the input.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)