Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Opinions on tvs

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009, 8:45 PM

Post #1 of 6 (856 views)
Shortcut
Opinions on tvs Can't Post

As a technician myself, I would like to hear all of your opinions on Hi-Def and LCDs,Plasma ,DLP and reliability and repair ability! I think the so called modern day tv is nothing more than a computer monitor with a tv tuner hung in side! I am repairing about 60 percent of them and the the rest is just time consuming no pay! I do charge up front money for my time, that means NO FREE ESTIMATES! Getting parts is a real headache, that is if you can locate them. I welcome your opinions!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 17, 2009, 2:18 AM

Post #2 of 6 (838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Opinions on tvs [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss "the good old days" already!

-------------------------

FUXER
User

Aug 17, 2009, 8:05 AM

Post #3 of 6 (830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Opinions on tvs [In reply to] Can't Post

You have got to be joking Paulpablo!, The old tv,s lasted many years & when faulty required skill to locate faulty part/s. The new RUBBISH is designed to last about 3-5 years- when a board fails- it takes no skill to replace the board/s- just a large wallet to buy- & then again in case of plasma- sometimes pdp is faulty-too!. Yes one can fit usb etc to computers to get tv display- but computers are made to a higher standard than ANY tv(except for early Jap made sets- I remember a joker throwing out his old tv-Hitachi- he said lasted 25 years before "blowin up!"- I offered to fix cheaply- he answered"I don't want the @#$%^ fixed- Ihave bought anew one!". Anyway was only a few dry joints- & that tv is giving as good a picture as the day it was made!.( far better than most modern crt sets). Summing up- ALL modern tv,s are planned obsolescence!.

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 17, 2009, 12:17 PM

Post #4 of 6 (826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FUXER] Opinions on tvs [In reply to] Can't Post

Im pleased that Im retiring, not starting out, I have a TV in my workshop a Philips K11 which the customer didnt want to pay to put a tripler in as it broke down once before, so it was freeby. The tuning is modified with a pot and switches for ease of tuning and its been on a workshop for 34 years for fixing videos and watching sport. Now you get rubbish to fix, No data, boards like paper, and capacitors that fry. My last kid is finishing University soon, when thats over, the shingle comes down and Im off fishing.

maverickr
User

Aug 22, 2009, 3:12 AM

Post #5 of 6 (806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Opinions on tvs [In reply to] Can't Post

Good for you rrobor! I wish I was retiring into the sunset soon. Unfortunately, I'm just starting out. Thanks to you guys on this forum though for providing expert advice and helping to make tv repair a little easier.
I have to agree with you guys though, i think the modern day tv is like pablo said, a computer monitor with a tuner stuck on it. Easy to repair considering you can find the faulty section and just swap out a board even though its costly. They are not very reliable however and in this neck of the woods where we have frequent power surges its not good for the plasmas, lcds and dlps. So far I've only worked on a few, still get mostly crt tvs coming in for repair.It is time consuming and I think I need to accept paulpablo's policy of paying something up front.

(This post was edited by maverickr on Aug 22, 2009, 3:17 AM)

mendukime
New User

Aug 26, 2009, 2:55 AM

Post #6 of 6 (787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Opinions on tvs [In reply to] Can't Post

why use tv's you can view movies and shows online

http://www.espinatech.com/

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)