Overtightened Wall Mount

ComputerG33k
New User

Jun 6, 2011, 4:18 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Overtightened Wall Mount Can't Post

Make\Model : Sony Bravia Kdl 46ex500

Hello all! I unfortunately did what every TV mount instruction manual says not to do, overtightened my wall mount. I tightened the first three (Top right, bottom left, bottom right) then when I got to the last one (Top left) I heard a snap after trying to tighten the bolt. Thinking I was cracking something, I tried to loosen the bolt. This is when I heard something drop within the TV and the bolt now spins in place.

It's been that way for about 5 months now on my mount. I usually check every other week and it still seems to be holding strong. However, I will be moving here in about a month and thought I'd take a crack at fixing it while it's off the mount.

So, has anyone either disassembled a TV that closely resembles mine that knows if this is fixable, or has anyone experienced the same issue with a 'broken' thread? Any tips, suggestions, online reading material, etc.. would be handy since this will be first time trying to repair a TV.

Some Additional Info :

- Sony recommends 8mm to 12mm bolts, I used 10. http://www.docs.sony.com/...Flyer_4191201121.pdf
- Simple Diagram : http://c.searspartsdirect.com/...M/50036283-00002.png

(This post was edited by ComputerG33k on Jun 7, 2011, 7:12 PM)

mel
Veteran

Jun 7, 2011, 7:10 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ComputerG33k] Overtightened Wall Mount [In reply to] Can't Post

Removing the back and inspecting the fitting, the answer should be self evident. I suspect that the nut was molded iinto the plastic of the back and what actually cracked was the plastic itself. When you backed off, it allowed the piece of plastic to fall and now the nut is just spinning free. You might me able to Crazy Glue the lose piece back in or use some othe jury rig to keep the nut in place. Frankly, it the other 3 bolts are secure, it is probably safe the way it is.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.11 s on (CGI/1.1)