Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
PANASONIC 42" Plasma

Phila
New User

Sep 17, 2006, 9:39 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1704 views)
Shortcut
PANASONIC 42" Plasma Can't Post

Pirate Hello I purchased a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV 2.5 years ago. It cost me $7000 and only had a 1 year warranty. My mistake was not paying the extra $400 dollars to get the extended warranty but hey I was buying a Panasonic!!
Well it was perfect great picture etc,etc until it started showing what I can only describe as the colours creeping. Ie some one wearing a colour shirt and the colours in the shirt would show other shades of the colour. A close up of peoples faces would show different shades under their chin and on their cheeks instead of a uniform colour or subtle change as the light shone on them.
It was really dissapointing with the response from PANASONIC who told me they couldnt help. I put the TV into their registered repair agent and they had the set for 5 weeks without telling me the fault. Finally after 15 calls to Panasonics customer service centre one of the customer managers decided to get a liason going between Panasonics technical peopple and my TV repairer. I told Panasonic that they surely sold a product that was capable of being repaired. Any way this got thye ball rolling and Panasonic sent a new colour board (price $375) to the repairer to put into the set.
The repairer then rang me to come and take a look at the set before they would bring it back out. I thought that didnt sound promising and I found out why when I checked it out becaused the set was exactly the same with the same problem. The repairer was trying to fob me off by saying it looked OK. What a lot of ** sh**t and I gave them a serve telling them they were supposed to be the experts and here it was looking the same as when it was first given to them. They finally admitted the new part had not resolved the problem.
I rang Panasonic again and this caused them to start talking to their head technicians who said they now knew what the promlem was and they were going to send another part to the repairer ASAP. This part sounds like a major component called a 'D' Board. A week later I had to ring the repairer cause I still had'nt heard anything and he told me they needed to put in the board and thet alone without labour was worth $975 and labour another $400 on top. I inquired wether the labour component included the other work they had done (which was a waste of time) and they said it was. I told them I shouldnt be liable for other work which had been done which didnt fix the fault but only for the labour of fitting the new 'D ' board.
I had to ring Panasonic again and ask why the repairer hadnt received the part as yet as promised. They are now looking in to it.
So the case is still open after 2 months and I just hpoe this new mother board fixes the problem.

techchris
Veteran

Sep 17, 2006, 10:30 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Phila] PANASONIC 42" Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

the fault you describe is called solarization and is usually a fault on the video processor pcb.its unusual on panasonic but learn from this that LCD and Plasma are VERY expensive to repair so take out extended warranties unless you have a Tom Cruise income

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)