Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Panasonic CT-36HX42F

Bantam
New User

Aug 4, 2005, 7:10 PM

Post #1 of 9 (6617 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic CT-36HX42F Can't Post

This TV blows the main fuse every few months for the past 1 1/2 years, and the period between fuses is shortening. Any thoughts?

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2005, 11:13 PM

Post #2 of 9 (6604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam] Panasonic CT-36HX42F [In reply to] Can't Post

Seen this hundreds of times in Panasonics, theres a thermister that when the set fires up allows the degausing coil to run for a few seconds, when this fails and starts staying on for more than a few seconds it blows the line fuse. We use RCA's 207768 thermister as a replacment
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

Bantam
New User

Aug 5, 2005, 9:43 PM

Post #3 of 9 (6590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Panasonic CT-36HX42F [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!

I do all kind of repairs on my house and small appliances, but I'm a newbie with electronics.

Is this a repair you think I can tackle?

Bantam
New User

Oct 30, 2005, 7:51 PM

Post #4 of 9 (6492 views)
Shortcut

Follow up:

I called the professionals, $330 later they repaired the power supply regulator deflection circuit. Ouch!

mel
Veteran

Oct 30, 2005, 10:46 PM

Post #5 of 9 (6488 views)
Shortcut

You should have listened to Mike. If he was right (and he probably is) and they didn't fix the degaussing circuit, you still have the original problem.

Bantam
New User

Nov 1, 2005, 1:57 PM

Post #6 of 9 (6480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Panasonic CT-36HX42F [In reply to] Can't Post

I specifically asked about the degaussing circuit and mentioned the thermistor- they said they could find nothing wrong in this area. If/when the fuse blows again now who' mI gonna call? Frown

mel
Veteran

Nov 1, 2005, 8:36 PM

Post #7 of 9 (6477 views)
Shortcut

They wouldn't actually "find" anything wrong with the degaussing circuit because in some Panasonics the circuit operates on the edge of the current tolerance and the resistance of the thermistor does not increase fast enough to keep the fuse from blowing. You might try a slo-blo fuse to compensate.

Bantam
New User

Dec 10, 2005, 6:55 PM

Post #8 of 9 (6403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Panasonic CT-36HX42F [In reply to] Can't Post

Follow up; so far so good, Tv operating beautifully. The Panasonic rep I spoke to prior to repairs decided to reimburse me $134. My set is 2 1/2 years old. He wouldn't provide any details on repair problems with this set. Anyway, the repair refund seems like a Christmas gift, guess I'll go spend it on my wife/kids.Tongue

Thanks for your help!

Terk
New User

Nov 13, 2006, 4:07 AM

Post #9 of 9 (5657 views)
Shortcut

I purchased this same model used about 8 months ago. It's working great until tonight. After some troubleshooting, I've determined that the TV itself is now producing (vs. the cable signal) a "band of fuss". That's right...the center 1/3 (running top to bottom) is blurry. It's especially noticable with the HD channels. I'm watching football, and only the outsides are clear and crisp as they should be. I can barely read the text showing the scores shown on the bottom (since they are in the center), but the text on the sides is as you would normally see. As I watch the 1/2 time show, the picture quality in the middle is similiar to non-HD resolution.
I need help! Since I bought it used, and the warranty would've expired anyway, I don't want to spend $300 to fix this thing (nor do I want to lug this 217 lbs beast downstairs and out to a repair shop). I'd rather go buy a 50-70" HD flat screen!
I'll be calling Panasonic tech support tomorrow, but welcome any insight. If you recognise the problem...and know the fix, please let me know!
TIA,
Terry

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)