Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Panasonic CT32D11E

tigergrad2001
New User

Nov 5, 2006, 5:21 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic CT32D11E Can't Post

Two Problems for a novice TV / Electronics Guy. The First Problem Led to the second one.
1.) The picture started shrinking down to a single line going horizontally across the screen. I opened up the back and blew off the circuit board and it fixed it for several weeks. Then after it started again I could hit the front - bottom - middle of the housing and it would expand back out to a full picture. After about two weeks of this it stopped working. After That, then the next problem
2.) I opened up the back again to look at the circuit board to see if there was anything out of the ordinary. after disconnecting the leads to speakers tube etc the only thing left was the wire from the flyback to the anode in the back of the screen. I couldn't find a way to disconnect the flyback, so started to take out the anode. It shocked me even though the TV was unplugged. I knew it wasn't a good sign. I plugged everything back in and now the TV won't turn on. I checked power and it goes all the way through the other side of the fuse, so I know it isn't that.
Can anyone help with these two problems. The more specific the better, part numbers etc would be great. I plan on buying an online repair manual. I know a repair guy would charge me an arm and a leg and my extremeties are in short supply these daysUnsure.
Thanks in advance!

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 5, 2006, 7:54 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigergrad2001] Panasonic CT32D11E [In reply to] Can't Post

Lets see here. You started off with a set that probably had nothing more than some bad solder connections on the verticle output IC and now you've got a dead set. In the process of trying to figure this out yourself you grabbed ahold of the anode lead at the crt and got the crap shocked out of you when the crt discharged who knows how many kilovolts through your body (normal BTW).

I'd suggest getting this to someone who knows what they're doing before you do anymore damage to the TV yourself or you wind up causing personal injury to yourself.

tigergrad2001
New User

Nov 5, 2006, 9:12 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Panasonic CT32D11E [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly what my wife said right after she screamed when I got shocked (haha). Anyway I am really just too stubborn to pay someone in most cases, but I will probably call and see. If there isn't a diagnostic charge I might be willing to do it. It's a five year old set, so chances are it will be cheaper to buy a new one these days.
Thanks for the input!
Anyone else want to make fun LOLWink.

pshephe1
New User

Nov 5, 2006, 10:01 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2974 views)
Shortcut

I have the same model CT32D11E. While I didn't electrocute myself, I do have a problem with the set not turning on. I checked the power across the fuse as you did and it shows it has power. Does anyone have suggestions on how to diagnose the problem.

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 6, 2006, 3:20 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pshephe1] Panasonic CT32D11E [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactly what are your skills at troubleshooting electronic circuitry?

pshephe1
New User

Nov 6, 2006, 1:29 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2960 views)
Shortcut

I won't actually be doing anything to it. A guy I work with that installs all our equipment (and maintains it) agreed to help me do any repairs. I just ordered the repair service manual from manualparadise.com. I am an engineer, and am fairly handy, but I don't have a lot of experience working with circuit boards... I feel confident checking voltages across different components etc, and from what I understand the repair manuals are fairly helpful in dictating what these should be. Any advice you give me on where to start would be helpful, but actual repair would be done be someone much more qualified.
Thanks

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 6, 2006, 1:56 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pshephe1] Panasonic CT32D11E [In reply to] Can't Post

You first need to find out if the main B+ circuit is running. If it's not you've either got a short on one of the switched power supply lines keeping the power supply off or the power supply itself isn't working correctly.

If the PS voltages are there you're next step is to determine if Horiz. drive is being applied to the base of the HO trans. , if it's not you need to determine why.

It's possible the flyback is bad also, you could also have a scan derived ps line shorted though this doesn't often cause a completely dead set.

There. That's a start.

gearguy
User

Nov 6, 2006, 6:34 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

I did the same thing years ago while I training on a Toshiba set. It only took that one time to make me pay attention to detail. Anyhoot, I trashed the FBT and the HOT. The first thing I would check is to see if the HOT is shorted. Then you can start troubleshooting from there.

pshephe1
New User

Nov 8, 2006, 1:10 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the start. I will take a look at that this weekend. I just got the manuals in my email yesterday, and will have to do some reading first.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)