Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Panasonic Tube TV

simba
New User

Oct 13, 2006, 12:04 PM

Post #1 of 5 (858 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic Tube TV Can't Post

I have a 10 year old 27" Panasonic tube tv. A few days ago just as I turned it on there was a loud hissing sound then a very loud pop, the screen went very btight for about a second then went black. Any thoughts as to what might have happened?
simba

bbrtv
New User

Oct 13, 2006, 1:20 PM

Post #2 of 5 (852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simba] Panasonic Tube TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Is tv completely dead or do you still have sound?Did you smell anything?First thought would be a high voltage arc of some kind.Flyback transformer or hv anode,I've even had the odd picture tube do that.Sometimes they crack & leak air inside.If you smelled something could even be a capacitor failed & burst.

simba
New User

Oct 13, 2006, 1:59 PM

Post #3 of 5 (849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbrtv] Panasonic Tube TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it still has sound and no I did not smell anything. TV repair shop wants $80 just to look at it. If it's the picture tube what would be the average price to replace?
simba

bbrtv
New User

Oct 13, 2006, 5:54 PM

Post #4 of 5 (841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simba] Panasonic Tube TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Replacing tube is out of the question unless you can get a 2nd hand one.New one would be as expensive as a new tv.Usually the crt is not the prob.A complete crt failure is not all that common.Usually see changes in colour or gets dim.Now you are at the point that some troubleshooting is needed.Obviously the tv still has power,but what actually happened is a good question.If they want $80 to look at it you can bet repair will probably be over $100.May not be worth it.

MOtvGuy
User

Oct 14, 2006, 12:06 AM

Post #5 of 5 (832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbrtv] Panasonic Tube TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like the flyback transformer went or the big lytic cap in the power supply blew it's load.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)