Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Panasonic Viera

thedouche
New User

Nov 28, 2010, 10:17 PM

Post #1 of 19 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic Viera Can't Post

Hello, this is my first time on here and was wondering if you guys could help me with my tv. i have a Panasonic viera plasma. its about 6 years old and has been very good to me. i know its probably time to buy a new one and with the deals going on right now its pretty tempting but i just dont have the money to get the one i really want so i figured it would be cheaper to fix my current one. the model number is TH-42PA25 and its a plasma. not too long ago i went to put a dvd into my PS3 to watch the movie right about the time the PS3 was going to take the dvd in i herd a loud bang and say a flash coming from the center top part of the tv (the way the tv sits and everything i had a good view of the back of the tv) well after that i had no power to the tv. upon further investigation i found two fuses that were blown. i haven't replaced these yet for fear that i may need a new power supply. is that the case or no? <br>

(This post was edited by thedouche on Nov 28, 2010, 10:18 PM)

RyanMoroz
New User

Nov 29, 2010, 1:37 AM

Post #2 of 19 (1879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thedouche] Panasonic Viera [In reply to] Can't Post

Little more info is needed here. First need to know if the fuses that were blown were on the power supply or another board. I am guessing at least one of them was on the power supply.

Second thing is if the fuses were on the power supply then I woudl say first off to try replacing the fuses, for a few dollars you may save some money and worst thing that will happen is they will blow again.

Its odd that 2 of them blow on the same board this is why I ask. But the good thing is your power board on ebay is only about $80.

thedouche
New User

Nov 29, 2010, 5:37 AM

Post #3 of 19 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RyanMoroz] Panasonic Viera [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah i figured i would start with the fuses. i dont think the fuses are on the power board although the only thing i can guess what the power supply board is was the one with all the transformers on it and the fuses that blew were not on that board.

darstr
User

Nov 29, 2010, 6:24 PM

Post #4 of 19 (1867 views)
Shortcut

Crazy It is not sounding good. First thing I would like you to do is take a flashlight and very carefuly and slowly inspect the whole panel. Look for a tiney black mark. When looking through a magnifiying glass, if it is there, you will see this mark running through a grid of about 5 to 15 pixels. Let me know what you see if any and we will go from there

mel
Veteran

Nov 30, 2010, 1:43 AM

Post #5 of 19 (1856 views)
Shortcut

Unplug the set before replacing the fuses. If they blow again immediately upon plugging in the set, you probably have a shorted diode in the rectifier bridge D401. Otherwise, it could be any number of things.

thedouche
New User

Nov 30, 2010, 5:07 AM

Post #6 of 19 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Panasonic Viera [In reply to] Can't Post

I take it you know this set pretty well than? I couldn't find any burn marks or anything so I don't know where it could have gone wrong

mel
Veteran

Nov 30, 2010, 11:13 PM

Post #7 of 19 (1840 views)
Shortcut

I own one and I love (in my opinion, best picture that I have seen in a big screen). The trouble shooting instructions that I have require special test equipment; are quite complicated and go from board to board until you find the board which is causing the problem. Since the power fuses are blown, I suspect that the power board is the problem. If the method that I suggested does not work, it is going to take some hands on troubleshooting by a professional.

thedouche
New User

Dec 1, 2010, 3:05 AM

Post #8 of 19 (1833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Panasonic Viera [In reply to] Can't Post

o wow thats intense. yeah i like the tv too. only beef with it is no HDMI connection but eh its old and works great.

so i got the fuses today(glass type not ceramic) and plugged it in. pushed the power button and physically saw and herd the power supply board go bye bye! there was fire coming from on of the aluminum strip heat sink looking things(i would like to know what there called if anyone knows?) so new power supply is what im gunna get.

does anyone know of a reliable online place i can buy one? ebay has them for like 100 which is cool but does anyone know whos reliable there so i dont get a dodgie board?

im really interested in electricity and want to learn more so this is a little exciting for me.

darstr
User

Dec 1, 2010, 10:21 PM

Post #9 of 19 (1818 views)
Shortcut

Crazy Did you inspect the panel yet? Or try to check resistance of the sc board and ss boards to chassi ground?

thedouche
New User

Dec 2, 2010, 8:15 AM

Post #10 of 19 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Panasonic Viera [In reply to] Can't Post

this is all foreign to me. im an automotive guy with basic electrical knowledge thats why im looking to expand my electrical knowledge so whats a sc and ss board? all the boards looked good and clean with no burn marks

darstr
User

Dec 2, 2010, 1:42 PM

Post #11 of 19 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Crazy Well let me ask you this. Can you use or own a Multimeter? I only ask, because if you can't I don't think I will be able to assist you.

thedouche
New User

Dec 2, 2010, 6:37 PM

Post #12 of 19 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Yeah I'm very proficient with a multimeter and have a good fluke one too haha has diode testing an all that stuff. I work on cars and like I said would love to learn more about electronics, LEDs and so on

darstr
User

Dec 2, 2010, 10:21 PM

Post #13 of 19 (1795 views)
Shortcut

Crazy OK. What I would like you to do is on the Power Supply ( the yellow board in the middle ) is disconnect connectors P1 and P11. Measure the resistance at P1 pin 1 to chassi ground ( any where on the panel that is metel ). And then do the same thing at P11 pin 1. And then get back with me and let me know what the readings are. Make sure set is not plugged in for this test.

thedouche
New User

Dec 8, 2010, 2:53 AM

Post #14 of 19 (1775 views)
Shortcut

ok so ive been looking for a while and cant see a P1 terminal/connector. as for the P11. on the board its open as well as the connector itself

darstr
User

Dec 8, 2010, 1:31 PM

Post #15 of 19 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Crazy Can only show resistance or a dead short. Did you have your meter on diode mode instead of resistance?

thedouche
New User

Dec 8, 2010, 5:12 PM

Post #16 of 19 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Naw it was in the omega mode I made sure of that. It didn't show anything when I put it to pin one

darstr
User

Dec 8, 2010, 5:28 PM

Post #17 of 19 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Crazy Sounds like the power supply is culprit here.

thedouche
New User

Dec 8, 2010, 10:44 PM

Post #18 of 19 (1762 views)
Shortcut

Sweet! Atleast now I know I'm not just replacing it on a whim

thanks for the help

darstr
User

Dec 8, 2010, 10:45 PM

Post #19 of 19 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Crazy Your welcome and good luck

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)