Philips 32pw9723/05

Wiz
User

Aug 21, 2005, 12:16 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Philips 32pw9723/05 Can't Post

Hey,

No luck in fixing my Hitachi C2886TN so far, but I seem to have gotten into trying to fix TVs. I went to my local waste/recycling center, and picked up a 32" philips widescreen. When I got back, I plugged it in and to my supprise there was a picture. All was working OK for about 15 minutes when it decided to go bright blue screen (overly bright so that horrizontal lines appeared). This stayed like this for a few seconds and then the TV turned into standby with flashing LED. (I think this is the protection mode.)

I have taken the circuit board out and resoldered all the dry joints that I could find. However when I connected it back up, there wasnt much change and it was possibly worse (less time before turning off).

I do not have the remote to get into any service modes etc, and is there anywhere that will tell me what any error codes mean?

Any ideas as to why it is doing this?

Thanks

Oliver

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 21, 2005, 1:20 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oliverwestby] Philips 32pw9723/05 [In reply to] Can't Post

Would say the tube has a cathode heater short and was dumped for that reason. Can be fixed though, go to your local electronics shop and get yourself a mains to 6.3V transformer, hook this up to the mains after the TV power switch then the 6.3 connections to the tube heaters which you have carefully isolated by cutting the tracks on the tube neck to isolate the pins. Now if the cathode shorts it will charge the winding of the heater to the same potential and not earth via the heater. Transformer may only be rated at 6V but thats OK.

mel
Veteran

Aug 21, 2005, 10:51 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1426 views)
Shortcut

rrobor is probably right about the shorted CRT but there is an easier way to bypass this. Clip the heater wires going to pins 9 and 10 on the CRT board and open any printed circuit leads off of these pins. Take a length of fairly fine insulated wire (close the same guage as the heater wires that you clipped), wrap two turns around the flyback transformer core and attach the ends to the ends of the heater leads that you just clipped. Insulate the connections with electrical tape and you should be in business.

Wiz
User

Aug 22, 2005, 6:51 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Philips 32pw9723/05 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Guys,

I've tested the heater and it has shorted to the blue cathode after a few seconds of heating.

The sugestions that you've made seem as though they would be a last resort apart from getting a new tube.

Is there any other way of attempting to fix this problem, or if my sugestion is going to work, how higher voltage should I use, and for how long. (I don't have a CRT tester, so can't use a 'fix short' function, but do have access to transformers etc to get high voltages)

Thanks

Oliver

(This post was edited by oliverwestby on Sep 5, 2005, 9:40 AM)

mel
Veteran

Aug 22, 2005, 9:32 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1409 views)
Shortcut

I have a BK CRT tester and have yet been successful in clearing a short using the clear shorts function. Maybe your local TV repair shop will try it for a nominal fee. I have heard of charging a capacitor and discharghing it across the shorted pins but I do not know the details on what values were used. A Google search might provide you with this info but I would be concerned that such an effort could render the CRT totally unuseable. I have sucessfully used the method that I described on many occasions with no detrimental affects on the TV.

Wiz
User

Aug 22, 2005, 10:17 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Philips 32pw9723/05 [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool, Thanks for your sugestions, I will try what you've said tomorrow if I get time and then let you know if it has worked.

Oliver

Wiz
User

Aug 24, 2005, 7:06 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1385 views)
Shortcut

Fixed!!

Thanks for you help,

Oliver

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 25, 2005, 12:44 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1371 views)
Shortcut

Yup I do a wind on the flyback rather than a transformer but it is fairly dangerious if you dont know what you are doing as most people would do several turns where 2 is usually correct. Also care has to be taken not to compremise the insulation factor. As such the amateur is better off with a transformer.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)