Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Philips CRT problem

stratosaurus
New User

May 2, 2013, 11:20 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Philips CRT problem Can't Post

I've got a Philips 30" wide-screen CRT (nodel 30PW8859/17). It was playing normally, and the picture glitched three or four times like a momentary power outage, then went totally black. No other devices were affected.
I unplugged the set and left it unplugged for over five minutes. When I attempted to re-energize the set, the screen remained dark, no audio, and the LED pilot started blinking five times, stopped, and repeated the five blinks. I have attempted to find error codes or a service manual online, with no luck.
I'm thinking power supply, but any help with that error code would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

board repairs
User

May 6, 2013, 8:25 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratosaurus] Philips CRT problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if can help but is this a tv from the UK ? if so do u have the chassis # & the year it was manufactured ? might be able to compare with some of the sets made here during that calender year .

stratosaurus
New User

May 6, 2013, 8:43 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [board repairs] Philips CRT problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are the data from the back labels on the set:

Model 30PW8859/17
S/N 67241677
Prod # AG 000211 100175
Production date is March 2002.

The set is US spec, NTSC tuner.

As I mentioned earlier, it acted like there had been a momentary power outage -- the picture flickered three or four times, then went black. I unplugged it and left it unplugged for several minutes, When re-energized, the indicator LED flashes five times, stops, then flashes five times. That process repeats indefinitely.

I tend to lean toward a failure in the power supply, but I cannot find a service manual, or even trouble codes relating to the LED flashing, on line or even from a Philips service center.

Thanks for your message!
Stratosaurus

board repairs
User

May 6, 2013, 9:36 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratosaurus] Philips CRT problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not have a manual close to your model # . Have you tried checking with Philips for a paper or Cd service manual for your set ? Also its just a guess but i don't think it is your power supply as your power light is flashing . I would think your set is going into shut down mode . Possible Vertical or Horizontal short . Do u have vom & can you check voltages ? If u can , post pictures of the board & i might be able to point u in some directions to check . Board replacement may not be an option for this set . LMK

stratosaurus
New User

May 6, 2013, 10:17 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1144 views)
Shortcut

I've tried removing the rear cover, but apparently some sort of secret handshake is required. After removing all the case screws, and unlocking the two small clips at the back of the cover, it STILL doesn't want to come off. I'll go after it again this evening, and if successful, will post what I find.

Thanks again!

jts1957
Veteran

May 7, 2013, 1:57 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Chassis N8 AA if spanish site is correct.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)