Philips Projection Help!

imjuspiayin
New User

Nov 30, 2009, 12:02 AM

Post #1 of 17 (2819 views)
Shortcut
Philips Projection Help! Can't Post

Hello,
I have a Philips rear projection 55 inch TV. I believe the model is 55PP935217. The TV broke about 2 months ago and after doing lots of research, I ordered a convergence chip repair kit as well as new resistors. I replaced the resistors and the chips and now the TV will not turn on at all. When I push the power button I hear the two clicks as if it were about to turn on and then it turns right off. I have been starring at this TV for the past few hours trying to see if I screwed up soldering anywhere but everything seems to be perfect...Does anybody have any other ideas as to what I could check or what could have gone wrong? Before replacing the convergence chips and resistors the TV turned on, just with the picture all screwed up from the blown chips. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I can post pictures of the board if necessary.
Thank you so much!
Also, this is the second set of convergence chips I have tried with the same results so chances are it is not bad chips.

(This post was edited by imjuspiayin on Nov 30, 2009, 12:31 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 30, 2009, 12:19 AM

Post #2 of 17 (2815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [imjuspiayin] Philips Projection Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Try again, Sherlock.

If you google the Model Number and get ZERO hits, something is very wrong!Crazy

-------------------------

imjuspiayin
New User

Nov 30, 2009, 12:30 AM

Post #3 of 17 (2813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Philips Projection Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, left out 5 in the model number. The correct model is 55pp935217.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 30, 2009, 12:50 AM

Post #4 of 17 (2809 views)
Shortcut

http://www.tv-forums.com/...g=plug%201516;#53714

A little search goes a long way...at least three threads in this forum alone.

imjuspiayin
New User

Nov 30, 2009, 12:55 AM

Post #5 of 17 (2807 views)
Shortcut

My problem is different from the link you posted. My TV actually turns itself back off after I hear the two clicks. I just removed both convergence chips and turned the power on, the TV was then able to turn on but one of the resistors burned up right away...I am stumped. I have searched this forum as well as many others and have not found any information that seems directly related. Thank you for your help.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 30, 2009, 1:00 AM

Post #6 of 17 (2805 views)
Shortcut

and now the TV will not turn on at all.

If this is NOT the same as a "dead set"????

I'm beginning to wonder about your User Name.Unimpressed

imjuspiayin
New User

Nov 30, 2009, 1:08 AM

Post #7 of 17 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Well from what I gather from the link you posted is that his TV stayed on as it says he was able to switch inputs as well as attempt to connect a DVD player to it? My TV turns itself right back off after attempting to turn it on. Also, I am blowing resistors, which he did not? Seems like a different problem to me.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 30, 2009, 1:13 AM

Post #8 of 17 (2798 views)
Shortcut

From out on the web:
Dead set. When you pull the plug 1516 that connects the SSM to the LSB the set fires up. Usually when you do this, you determine that the conv IC's are bad. And you are usually correct. This plug carries the +22, -22, +35 and-35 from the LSB to the SSM. When you have shorted STK392-120's, removing this plug, unloads the shorted IC's, and the set starts. This quick test will save you from needlessly changing the conv IC's. This fooled me today into changing the conv IC's. Remove the plug 1516 from both the LSB and SSM. It plugs in from both boards. Snip the wires to pins 10 and 11 and plug it back in. (There is enough slack to resolder them later). These pins supply the + and - to the audio IC. When you snip the wires and the set starts up, you have a bad audio IC. IC7700-TDA7490-932214750667. If it still does not fire up, you more than likely have conv IC's bad.

Test can still apply. Would still unload convergence.Angelic

imjuspiayin
New User

Nov 30, 2009, 1:42 AM

Post #9 of 17 (2794 views)
Shortcut

Great, going to put the chips back in, replace blown resistor and attempt this...thanks again.

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2009, 5:49 PM

Post #10 of 17 (2784 views)
Shortcut

At one time my parts guy was able to find these STK 392-020 convergance Ic's at a great price, real cheap only $5.95 each so insted of asking if this was right he whent ahead and ordered up a 50 pack of these jewels. about 10 did not work the other failed within a short time that cost us a redo that also cost us the expence of picking up the set and repairing it ( two men, the time, and the truck) So the question is did you go find the factory originals or the cheapest Ic's you could find?
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

imjuspiayin
New User

Dec 2, 2009, 3:39 AM

Post #11 of 17 (2775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Philips Projection Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok so after putting the convergence chips back in I attempted to turn the TV back on before cutting the wires to the audio IC and it turned on this time but the picture had lines going across it and was shaking, it seemed to be getting worse and worse so I quickly turned the TV off. I then cut the wires to the audio IC and turned the TV on and got the same exact results with the picture having a few lines across it and shaking. Tested all the resistors again afterwards and they are all still perfectly fine, and I guess its not the audio IC since it works the same with or without it connected. When its on the picture seems okay, just some shadows likely because I have not reset the convergence since the chips have been put in. Could this possibly be because I did not do a perfect job soldering? To my eye it seems I soldered fine but I am in no way an expert...any other ideas?

Gus67
User

Dec 2, 2009, 4:05 AM

Post #12 of 17 (2769 views)
Shortcut

I'd like to see a top and bottom photo of the board just for curiosity sake.Unimpressed

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 2, 2009, 4:28 AM

Post #13 of 17 (2766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus67] Philips Projection Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Won't hurt, If close/clear enough.

imjuspiayin
New User

Dec 2, 2009, 4:48 AM

Post #14 of 17 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Here are some pictures...pretty hard to see but this is the best I could do. Left the TV on for about 30 seconds and blew resistors now in a different part of the board...

[URL=http://www.zshare.net/image/6929357447a9461f/]036.JPG - 2.57MB

[URL=http://www.zshare.net/image/69293633447b2de1/]037.JPG - 2.91MB

[URL=http://www.zshare.net/image/692936745bf6de6f/]038.JPG - 2.84MB

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 2, 2009, 4:54 AM

Post #15 of 17 (2757 views)
Shortcut

Are these of the area you were soldering? I only see one joint that looks suspicious.

imjuspiayin
New User

Dec 2, 2009, 5:01 AM

Post #16 of 17 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Yea those are the only areas I was soldering besides a few resistors that I didn't take photos of but I know I did those fine. That one suspicious area for some reason the solder will not take to it but it is still connected to the lead.

Update: Once again replaced the last set of resistors that blew and TV will once again turn on but the picture goes crazy. The picture shrinks then goes back to normal size and does this rapidly until going to a complete black screen and shutting off? I am about to give up on the TV unless anybody has any other suggestions for me. Thank you guys for your help so far.

(This post was edited by imjuspiayin on Dec 2, 2009, 6:29 AM)

imjuspiayin
New User

Dec 4, 2009, 12:27 AM

Post #17 of 17 (2721 views)
Shortcut

bumpity bump

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)