Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Philips TV Quit!

fwright
New User

Sep 20, 2007, 2:19 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4086 views)
Shortcut
Philips TV Quit! Can't Post

I have a Philips 27 inch model number: 27PT9015D/37 that just quit tonight. It won't power up again, and I'm wondering if it is the fuse. Could anyone please tell me how to check the fuse, where to buy a fuse, etc. The TV is RECENTLY out of warranty (of course), and I would end up paying more for repair than it is worth.
Thanks!

rrobor
Veteran

Sep 20, 2007, 12:34 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fwright] Philips TV Quit! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is unlikely to be so simple as a fuse. From your question I gather you have no knowledge of howa TV wotrks and I suspect no tools or experience in fixing electronics . So Im afraid its simple take it to a shop or ditch it.

RetiredTVguy2
User

Sep 20, 2007, 5:53 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4061 views)
Shortcut

rrobor is right, and if you try to replace the fuse get the same value, do not put in anything different in value and above all do NOT jump it and I repeat NOT jump it with a wire or anything else.
If the fuse blows again then you know the problem is deeper and it has to go to a shop.
----------------------------------------------------------
When everyone treats you bad, turn to your dog, he or she will understand!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I dont mind working, as long as it doesn't interfere with fishing!

fwright
New User

Sep 20, 2007, 10:30 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RetiredTVguy2] Philips TV Quit! [In reply to] Can't Post

rroboy, do you work for my local TV repair guy?
Just kidding, I know you guys are being cautious with newbies, but the fact is the fuse DID fix it. I realize that that the fuse is not the root cause, but at 65 cents per fuse, and 15 minutes of work, that beats carrying a 100lb TV up and down a flight of stairs and paying $150 or more in repair costs. Even if I have to keep replacing fuses every few months, it will be along time before I reach that repair cost.
For anyone else in need (and if you own a 27" Philips, or something like it, you WILL most likely be in need), here are some links for fixing that fuse.
The fuse is a 4 AMP 250 V Slow Burn readily available at Radio Shack.
Read here: http://www.coxesroost.net/journal/2004/12/11/television-repair

fwright
New User

Sep 21, 2007, 3:13 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4034 views)
Shortcut

Another good link for replacing the fuse in a Philips TV - This one with photos.
http://figz.com/...2011:33:55.030296-06

rrobor
Veteran

Sep 21, 2007, 5:04 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Ok you have told us something more about where you live so I can tell you a bit more. The fuse will blow again on switch on in perhaps another few switch ons. Philips uses PTCs which are rated 220V and cause no end of trouble. I have experience with this in a philips workshop where they imported sanyo PTCs and used those. I would suspect you are on a 240V line in GB. Now your issue is most likely the PTC sparked over so is now damaged but you may think that fitting 4A slow blow fuses is an answer, it is not. Each time that sparks the power supply FET gets whacked, if that shorts then you are in deep. My advice is Ok take the risk once more, if the fuse blows again change the fuse and the PTC. Or if you get blotches of colour on the screen dont wait change the PTC

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)