Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Phillips tv problem

spotteddog
New User

Sep 12, 2006, 12:13 AM

Post #1 of 16 (3858 views)
Shortcut
Phillips tv problem Can't Post

Hi nice site !!! anyway i have a phillips 27 " crt television. At the top of the screen it developed an area that seems to roll the picture back down on to itself. If the picture is letterboxed it is not as noticable. Also when the screen is black (no video input ) there are 3 very thin lines across the screen one is red. one is green . Any ideas?

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2006, 12:17 AM

Post #2 of 16 (3854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spotteddog] Phillips tv problem [In reply to] Can't Post

We have no idea unless you post a model and chassis number.

Larry E
User

Sep 12, 2006, 12:22 AM

Post #3 of 16 (3852 views)
Shortcut

your obviously new so I`ll repeat what has been posted 100 times, we can`t help you and won`t try to help you if you don`t post your model number, your question is the same as " I have a chevy and it won`t start, what`s wrong ? " I will also assume the third "very thin line" is blue? Larry E

spotteddog
New User

Sep 12, 2006, 12:23 AM

Post #4 of 16 (3852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Phillips tv problem [In reply to] Can't Post

27PT6441/37 27" real flat sorry i meant to post that . BTw how do i access the service menu on this also ? Yes the thin line is Blue

(This post was edited by spotteddog on Sep 12, 2006, 12:36 AM)

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2006, 1:16 AM

Post #5 of 16 (3846 views)
Shortcut

If you are not a tech, and it is very clear to me that you are not, don't attempt to to enter the service menu, as you will wind up with GARBAGE!

spotteddog
New User

Sep 12, 2006, 3:15 PM

Post #6 of 16 (3839 views)
Shortcut

Post: If you are not a tech, and it is very clear to me that you are not, don't attempt to to enter the service menu, as you will wind up with GARBAGE!
Well thanks for your informative post !! Im not an idiot! I'm quite capable of adjusting a picture!! If you dont have anything to say to answer a question why post? Mad Sorry Mods no more flaming !Blush
Now im looking to see if this television is worth getting repaired, It is slated for replacement as soon as the LCD prices come down a little. However it is the newer of several televisions in the house and will make a great bedroom set if it can be fixed. Is this the kind of thing that could be a bad cable or connection ? Im not looking for an exact diagnosis.Just some ideas.

techchris
Veteran

Sep 12, 2006, 8:44 PM

Post #7 of 16 (3828 views)
Shortcut

check the electrolytic capacitors by the vertical scan ic.one is probably dried up causing the picture to fold over on itself

mel
Veteran

Sep 12, 2006, 9:17 PM

Post #8 of 16 (3825 views)
Shortcut

Go to www.samswebsite.com and download Efact 5074. It should have troubleshooting notes on what caps need to be changed.

rrobor
Veteran

Sep 13, 2006, 8:51 AM

Post #9 of 16 (3809 views)
Shortcut

The voltage to your vertical chip is not high enough. reasons are .!safety resistor from the flyback going high. 2 filter capacitor drying out (470 or 680uf) 3 booster capacitor drying out (68 or 100uF) 4 vertical chip faulty. expected reason of failure = 3 2 4 1.

spotteddog
New User

Sep 20, 2006, 2:28 PM

Post #10 of 16 (3774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Phillips tv problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Rrobor!!
I'm just a electronics hobbyist and a forum junky . I appreciate your response and insight and i'll let you know how i make out!

Larry E
User

Sep 21, 2006, 2:13 AM

Post #11 of 16 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Use all the info you got and DON`T blow off what Paulpablo said, if you get the manual,
stay out of the service mode it is not for amateurs, he was helping you, I have seen a
hundred requests by people that obviously don`t know how a set works and they all want
to know how to get into the service mode, replace the caps and you`ll be fine, Larry E

rrobor
Veteran

Sep 21, 2006, 11:30 AM

Post #12 of 16 (3749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Larry E] Phillips tv problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes the last issue you find is that the unit has corrupt info. It is usual to get component failure and when fixed all is well, sometimes you can go into service mode and cover over a fault for a time but all you are doing is painting over the fault, like painting over rust. Do that and very soon its worse than before, As a tech of many years, fiddling with settings is a last resort after all else has failed.

hackman
New User

Sep 22, 2006, 1:34 AM

Post #13 of 16 (3734 views)
Shortcut

Look at the caps in the vertical section, I would use a variac 'Isolate HOT side of TV' and observe all safety instructions from the schematic.
Then, use a can of freeze spray in the vertical area attach straw and spray on each cap in the vertical area, watch and wait about 30 seconds, if nothing changes move to the next cap, if its a bad cap you will see it correct itself, and then go back to being bad, if this is indeed the fix, then I would replace the bad part with exact part (I myself use 105c caps for hi-temp locations).
If you try the above and still no fix, try freeze on the vertical output (usually a SIP type transistor array (11 to 18 pins in a single row configuration), cool it and see if it fixes it? If still no fix, use the variac (isolate the set) and start checking your voltages around the vertical area, careful not to short anything to anything, you can blow fuseable links if you short anything out.
If you still can't get it fixed, you may need a scope and scope readings to diagnose the rest of the way, let us know what you find, sometimes the best of techs can find something new everday! Good Luck!
hope this helps, be safe, observe safety, refer to schematics for safety proceedures.
J.

indigit4l
New User

Sep 24, 2006, 7:41 PM

Post #14 of 16 (3703 views)
Shortcut

i have a similar problem w/ my philips (27pt9015d). A bunch of thin white lines run across the upper inch and a half of the screen, sometimes reversing the image underneath, etc.
did you get yours fixed? I think mine came from moving it across town 2 or 3 times in the last 4 months. lemme know if you repair it or whatever b/c i'd like to know what to expect and to be informed before i possibly pay too much. thanks.

spotteddog
New User

Sep 26, 2006, 1:18 PM

Post #15 of 16 (3680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [indigit4l] Phillips tv problem [In reply to] Can't Post

that is the exact trouble this set was having. I 've replaced it with a different set for now. Walmart had 32" on for $ 299 cdn. So I will crack this thing open soon. I will let you know what i find out.

indigit4l
New User

Sep 26, 2006, 4:03 PM

Post #16 of 16 (3676 views)
Shortcut

awesome. yeah, this is an sdtv, but i figure if worse comes to worse i can always get a regular crt tv @ the same size for about 200 or 250. ill probably just live w/ it until it really screws up. ok thanks.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)