RCA 24V414T

latimer
New User

Jun 11, 2013, 1:45 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1732 views)
Shortcut
RCA 24V414T Can't Post

A family member was given one of these. It had a sign "FREE... good digital TV"

Buuuut, once I plugged it in and hooked it up to my folks' cable, some brief text appeared on the screen I couldn't remember all of, then it shut off.

A remote that came with it (a universal, judging from the variety of buttons) needed 2 AA batteries, but despite resetting it twice, it didn't get much further as far as getting the set to turn on. Once it powered fully up, to a plain blue screen, the words "No signal" appeared in a box briefly along the bottom of the screen, then (click) shut off again.

Some other sites had a few ideas, nearly all component failures of one ilk or another. Allegedly the previous user, per family member, used a present-day OTA antenna. Any clues as to what might be up here?

board repairs
User

Jun 11, 2013, 5:03 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [latimer] RCA 24V414T [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry but i have no service manual for this set . Possibilities would be the regulator transistor in the power supply or flyback transformer or lose connections . Would be difficult to diagnosis without the service manual to help you out . You would need a meter to test parts & check voltages to confirm problem . Above possibilities were just suggestions on what i have serviced with this set before . Flyback transformer is no longer available & a generic would be all you could find if there is still one out there & if that is your problem . Sorry i could not help you more .

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013, 4:10 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like the TV is in a video mode or video input. Do you have a DVD player you could connect to it (connect it to the Yellow White & Red input jacks) Have the DVD player on & running (a movie etc.) then try the TV & see if you can see the DVD video playing. If you can see the DVD video playing then your TV just needs to be changed to a different input for cable. There will be a button either on the TV or remote (or both) that is labeled 'input' or 'Source' or 'TV/Video' & by pressing that button you can switch the TV to another input such as Cable or Antenna. You may have to press that button a few times in a row to toggle or step through the different inputs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

latimer
New User

Jun 23, 2013, 2:22 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] RCA 24V414T [In reply to] Can't Post

The only remote that was with this set, I believe was a universal remote from the same company, which MIGHT be able to switch between inputs as you said... still, the fact that the set shuts off so quickly, makes trying to find out whether it does, darn well impossible.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013, 4:15 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Not sure if this is the case or not but some TVs will shut down if they don't detect an input signal which sounds like that's what yours is doing. So, if you have something connected to the set, such as a DVD player, & you already have the DVD on & playing then when you turn the TV on it should detect that & will not go into shutdown. If your TV has more than one input you may have to try this experiment with each input Example: Input 1, Input 2, Front Input, Side Input. Look at all the jacks & read them, they will be labeled... What buttons are there on the TV (not the remote) what are the buttons labeled as? You will have Power, Channel Up, Channel Down, Volume Up & Volume Down but do any of them say Input? or Source?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Jun 23, 2013, 4:16 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)