RCA 61929 problems

ze_frenchie
New User

Feb 5, 2008, 8:22 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1345 views)
Shortcut
RCA 61929 problems Can't Post

Hi all,

I have a RCA 60 inch P61929 projection TV and this morning the 3 colors are misaligned by about 1 inch each and the display as a severe pincushion or hourglass effect (top-bottom mostly but both sides also caving in at the center)...Frown
Any hints ?!?!?

Regards,
Ze Frenchie

Attachments: rca1.JPG (3.08 MB)
  rca3.JPG (2.93 MB)

Franky
User

Feb 5, 2008, 10:23 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ze_frenchie] RCA 61929 problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Try to resoder the covergency ic's .

ze_frenchie
New User

Feb 9, 2008, 1:09 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Franky] RCA 61929 problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea... but where are those IC's? Blush

Ze Frenchie

Franky
User

Feb 9, 2008, 2:54 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Well my freind these ic's normally start with letters STK and should be two on a big heat sink, don't know your set,try to resolder those pins to the board.

Franky
User

Feb 9, 2008, 3:07 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1309 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Great idea... but where are those IC's? Blush

Ze Frenchie

You need to re-solder the circuit board that contains the STK convergence modules. They're on the center circuit board attached to an aluminum heat sink that's about 8" long and 6" tall, about dead center in the circuit board. You may be able to recreate the problem (hour glass effect) by gently moving the heat sink (which the modules are connected to). This gives the hour glass effect on the picture and the advanced convergence screen. This is an indication that the modules pins aren't solidly connected (meaning soldered) properly. Remove the circuit board and clean the old solder off & resolder the modules pins to the circuit board reconnected the board and then retest by again pushing on the heat sink. This is a caused by a minimum effort (a.k.a. minimum cost) solder job, probably d You need to re-solder the circuit board that contains the STK convergence modules. They're on the center circuit board attached to an aluminum heat sink that's about 8" long and 6" tall, about dead center in the circuit board. You may be able to recreate the problem (hour glass effect) by gently moving the heat sink (which the modules are connected to). This gives the hour glass effect on the picture and the advanced convergence screen. This is an indication that the modules pins aren't solidly connected (meaning soldered) properly. Remove the circuit board and clean the old solder off & resolder the modules pins to the circuit board reconnected the board and then retest by again pushing on the heat sink. This is a caused by a minimum effort (a.k.a. minimum cost) solder job, probably done in some 3rd world sweat shop. The "factory" job was good enough for 3-4 years but the heat (and these modules do create a lot of heat) and stress created from repeated use eventually takes it's toll, weakens the pin connections and our problem occurs. take the appropriate cautions working around the high voltage of the set & use a non-conduting piece of wood to push the heat sink when we doing tests. Best of luck, hope ya fix it. If that doesn't work the nodules need replacing.
one in some 3rd world sweat shop. The "factory" job was good enough for 3-4 years but the heat (and these modules do create a lot of heat) and stress created from repeated use eventually takes it's toll, weakens the pin connections and our problem occurs. take the appropriate cautions working around the high voltage of the set & use a non-conduting piece of wood to push the heat sink when we doing tests. Best of luck, hope ya fix it. If that doesn't work the nodules need replacing.

ze_frenchie
New User

Feb 9, 2008, 10:24 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Franky] RCA 61929 problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok Franky, I spotted the convergence module, remove it and looked at the soldering and components and nothing is seems out of the ordinary.Crazy

I also fiddled around with the STK component but it did not change the image. I work with a bunch of electronic techs at the office, I think I'll bring the board in for a thorough check up...

Thanks !

Ze Frenchie

Franky
User

Feb 10, 2008, 1:31 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1297 views)
Shortcut

If it was me i wound't just look at it i would just resolder all the pins, and then all convergency joints in the circuit and check the components related, then if it didn't work i would then change the IC's.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)