Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
RCA HD52W59

wireman19
New User

Apr 8, 2008, 12:34 AM

Post #1 of 14 (4186 views)
Shortcut
RCA HD52W59 Can't Post

Hi, I have an RCA HD52W59 here is the problem when you push the power button the button lights up, but no picture and no sound. I had a repair man look at it, but he said he would need to replace a board and it would cost $500. When I got the tv back home I found that there is a white board that he did not bother to plug all of the cables back into. I am guessing that this is the board that needs replaced. Can anyone help me with the following:
1. What does this board do and does it sound like it could be the problem?
2. how do i get the red and black cables off of the tower looking black part ( I think its called a fly back)
3. Where can i buy this board or parts for it.
I can email a picture of this board if anyone wants me too. I am new to fixing TV's, but have built and worked on many pc's and I recently fixed my LCD monitor. I am a quick learner so if you can explain it well I will be greatful!!!

zip
User

Apr 26, 2008, 6:55 PM

Post #2 of 14 (4141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wireman19] RCA HD52W59 [In reply to] Can't Post

HI: 1. Yes, this sounds like you power supply/ deflection board.
2.the red and black cables don't come off the board, trace the wires to the other end, this is located in the front of the tv set near the speakers, pop off the front grill to get at this. The smaller wire pulls right off the focus block but the larger red wire in to the H.Voltage splitter needs to be turned C.C.W. and give it a sharp tug at the same time, this can be alittle tricky! These board do cause problems, likely your problem.
3. any RCA Dist. or parts out let has them
4. let me know I can give you the part # or get a board for you if if need them ! This is not a highly priced board.

86rocco
New User

Sep 29, 2010, 4:52 PM

Post #3 of 14 (3307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zip] RCA HD52W59 [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not start a new thread as this one seems to be on topic for my problem too.

ZIP, I am having a problem with this board.

When I plug the TV in there is a hissing type sound, so I took the back cover off and did it again. The problem became very evident. A component on the board (grey rectangle shape) has burned through the board. When I plug it in you can see the sparks/glowing at the component and under the board. I have a pic and video

I am assuming that I would need a new board to fix this rather than the component.

What I need is the board name/designation so I can order a new one or if you can still get them just let me know the price and see if it is something I want to invest in.

As far as disconnecting and reconnecting go, I should be fine, heck even if it required a little soldering I can do that too.

Thanks in Advance!

zip
User

Sep 29, 2010, 9:42 PM

Post #4 of 14 (3300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [86rocco] RCA HD52W59 [In reply to] Can't Post

that is a capacitor that is arcing, and if the circuit board is not burnt too bad, just clean the spot (connection) very good and resolder it, it should fix your problem. I've had several of these and that's all it took to fix them.

86rocco
New User

Sep 29, 2010, 11:21 PM

Post #5 of 14 (3297 views)
Shortcut

thank you for the quick reply. I guess trying replace the capacitor is worth a try. It just seems like it has burned through a bunch. What is a good source to order the capacitor from?

darstr
User

Sep 30, 2010, 3:26 PM

Post #6 of 14 (3292 views)
Shortcut

Crazy Radio Shack or any electronics store. Common part and only a buck or two

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 30, 2010, 11:50 PM

Post #7 of 14 (3287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] RCA HD52W59 [In reply to] Can't Post

Were watching too much PBS.Smile

-------------------------

86rocco
New User

Oct 1, 2010, 2:02 PM

Post #8 of 14 (3276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] RCA HD52W59 [In reply to] Can't Post

well I was able to view the back side of the board and it is burned completely through, a little smaller than dime size. I would say it is beyond replacing the component and soldering in a new one. So I am looking for the board.

If anyone can help me find a good source for the board I would appreciate it.

Full TV model #: HD52W59yx23
Serial #: F395CN02J
Chassis: ITC222A

If there is any other info ya might need to get me straightened out just let me know.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 1, 2010, 3:04 PM

Post #9 of 14 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Done daily by us "professionals." Wink

zip
User

Oct 1, 2010, 4:45 PM

Post #10 of 14 (3270 views)
Shortcut

part #270198

86rocco
New User

Oct 1, 2010, 8:28 PM

Post #11 of 14 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Im trying to post a video of what is going on but not sure what I am doing wrong in this forum to get it to post properly. I guess off to read some directions for posting a video.

Thanks for the part #, discussion, and help thus far!

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 1, 2010, 9:35 PM

Post #12 of 14 (3255 views)
Shortcut

http://www.encompassparts.com/products/?270198
http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/270198-P3200.aspx

Might have some trouble obtaining though.Unimpressed

86rocco
New User

Nov 16, 2010, 9:24 PM

Post #13 of 14 (3197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] RCA HD52W59 [In reply to] Can't Post

Update:

Well I ordered the board and all was going fine until I tried plugging in the ribbon type cables to find that there is a different size/shape receptacle on the board. Ughh.

So, I am going to attempt the repair. I have cleaned the old board, and it is prepped and ready for the part to come in. I ordered RCA part # 259321 .0087uF 2000 vdc cap.

Originally I was trying not to have to do any component level soldering but with the board coming in with different connectors I am running out of options.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your inputs and advice. I will let you know how it turns out.

86rocco
New User

Nov 24, 2010, 8:39 PM

Post #14 of 14 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Update:

Probably the last update. I put a new capacitor in and the TV fired right up and after doing some convergence adjustments have a good picture and everything is working. The repair is actually only two days old so we will see how long it lasts.

Thanks all for the discussion and helpful inputs that allowed me to get to a solution.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)