Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung CRT Problems

Hellrun
New User

May 2, 2013, 9:27 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1856 views)
Shortcut
Samsung CRT Problems Can't Post

Hi, I came across this forum in a search for information about CRT faults and I was really hopeful that someone may be able to help me with a fault.

I have a 29" CRT Monitor (arcade cabinet) the tube is a Samsung (A68QCP891X001), with a Rodotron CH666 Chassis (http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/0/0c/Rodotron_CH-666_Schematic.pdf). Its currently not displaying a picture and there is a constant clicking noise (here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aZrhu-nIA4). Can anybody suggest what I should do to try and fix this? I assume there is a chassis fault :S

Many Thanks,
David

twbranch
New User

May 2, 2013, 1:17 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hellrun] Samsung CRT Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you tried arcade sites? I am not sure which one is best but there are a few that can give more info.

Hellrun
New User

May 2, 2013, 1:38 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [twbranch] Samsung CRT Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I have but to no avail. The best of them is probably arcadeotaku.

I just need a decent tv tech to really advise me on what the best course of action is. I have tried calling TV repair men near me and none of them want to touch this as it seems too much work for them.
My only real hope is to try carrying out some basic fault finding and with any luck I can find the faulty component and replace it. No idea really where I should start if I'm honest.

Thanks

jts1957
Veteran

May 2, 2013, 4:29 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hellrun] Samsung CRT Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

A68QCP891X001 = 27"

Fine line across screen 'could' indicate a vertical deflection failure (IC8).

Not displaying a picture and ticking noise (if there's NOT a clock in there) would tend to indicate a possible short.

My acrylic ball (crystal one had a fatal encounter with the cement floor) can't see what test equipment or electronic troubleshooting experience you have.

Assuming you have a DVM (and know how to use it), I'd start by checking the Horizontal output transistor (Q36) for shorts.

If none, check for T3 'secondary' voltages.

-------------------------

Hellrun
New User

May 2, 2013, 5:00 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung CRT Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

True but the Japanese size for it is 29". Not particularly relevant though.

I believe the vertical collapse might have been caused by the yoke that came attached to the tube because there was smoke rising from it when I switched it on. Possibly burnt something out on the chassis though because any time powered up after that I get no picture, no neck glow and just this clicking noise (which is NOT a clock)

I have an avometer here and some basic knowledge of components. I will try your suggestion, thank you.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)