Samsung Convergence

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rockstar
User

Jun 30, 2009, 2:20 AM

Post #1 of 28 (4086 views)
Shortcut
Samsung Convergence Can't Post

I have a Samsung HD Projection tv that the red convergence is out of place and constantly jittering i tap the IC chips and heat sink and nothen happen but if you go into menu and just adjust red convergence crosses any were it would fix it self of constantly being jittery then you can move crosses back to were they should be but it doesnt last long till its messed up and start constantly being jittery again. I have read about these chips always failing cause of high temperature they run at. So my question is does it seem like the IC chip is bad or the heat caused a bad solder joint. Model Number is HCL4715W

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009, 3:51 AM

Post #2 of 28 (4085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rockstar] Samsung Convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

If the ICs fail they never repair themselves so if it corrects itself at times then I would say this is just poor solder connections.

If left the ICs may be damaged permanently if this happens, here is some information I found that may help with the repair.

Samsung Convergence Repair Tips Click Here

Source for Convergence ICs Click Here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Rockstar
User

Jun 30, 2009, 4:31 AM

Post #3 of 28 (4078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Samsung Convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your reply Repair man. Thats what i thought that if it was bad why would it work time to time. So that site for convergence ICs do u recommend them.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009, 1:02 PM

Post #4 of 28 (4075 views)
Shortcut

I have many suppliers that I use depending on what parts I need. I buy from this site weekly for convergence ICs, the parts are good quality their shipping reasonable. -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Rockstar
User

Jul 1, 2009, 5:13 AM

Post #5 of 28 (4066 views)
Shortcut

I took out the board with the IC chips and the leads number 1, 2 and 3 have no solder on both chips so i assume they dont need to be solder. I have reheat the solder of the to IC chips to see it that worked. I also seen the heat sink had a broken solder joint and fixed that but after i put it back in the tv and turn it on it still was not working but this time if you push the heat sink one way it fixes it but other way makes it worse again. so would that mean the IC chip has a bad lead or should i use all new solder. Thanks for Helping

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 1, 2009, 5:35 AM

Post #6 of 28 (4064 views)
Shortcut

If those three "leads" have foils leading away from them, they need to be soldered.Wink

-------------------------

Rockstar
User

Jul 1, 2009, 5:43 AM

Post #7 of 28 (4061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung Convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

There was no foil leading from the 3 holes so i did figure they were not in use. Thanks for the info

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2009, 5:16 PM

Post #8 of 28 (4054 views)
Shortcut

Try to remove the old solder and clean the area with a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol then reapply new solder to each of the pins; this should correct your problem.

Be careful when removing the solder that you don't damage any of the trace lines.

Solder wick works the best to remove the old solder. Lay it across the solder connection you want to de-solder and heat the wick with your soldering iron; the solder will be transferred from the circuit board to the solder wick.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Aug 22, 2010, 4:21 AM)

Rockstar
User

Jul 1, 2009, 11:44 PM

Post #9 of 28 (4043 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for all the help Repair man. I removed all old solder and resolder all the leads and works great now. So one other question so what happens to the solder that it causes this problem, does it not conduct as good from age.

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 2, 2009, 6:52 AM

Post #10 of 28 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Solder is a soft metal, the ICs are bolted on to a metal plate and as the plate heats and cools it can stress the solder as can current flow and the like. We always find solder failing on the larger heavy parts, at times you do get poor joints on small low current components due to impurities at manufacture but thats not so common.

Rockstar
User

Jul 5, 2009, 7:33 PM

Post #11 of 28 (4010 views)
Shortcut

The same thing happen again with red convergence. why would this keep happing is it the ic chip not transfering the heat because of bad thermal paste causeing the solder to be hotter and should the heat sink be resolder with new solder.

(This post was edited by Rockstar on Jul 5, 2009, 8:07 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 5, 2009, 8:19 PM

Post #12 of 28 (4005 views)
Shortcut

Rockstar;....

is it the ic chip not transfering the heat because of bad thermal paste causeing the solder to be hotter

NOoooo!!....NOooo!!!...NOoooo!!!....That's NOT your problem....You have a bad connection somewhere!!!...Read on.....

but this time if you push the heat sink one way it fixes it but other way makes it worse again. so would that mean the IC chip has a bad lead

You "may" still have a bad connection on the board....
But , in my past experience, I've seen the IC's themselves act the same way as you describe...
Possible bad internal connections inside the IC...
I would suggest that you get a magnifying glass & take a good close look around where the conv IC's are mounted to the board...
IF you can't find any bad or suspicious connections,I'd suggest you replace BOTH conv ICs with good replacements & NOT generics....Sanyo would be a good choice....

Good Luck....Sly.....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 5, 2009, 8:25 PM)

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009, 3:59 AM

Post #13 of 28 (3994 views)
Shortcut

Check the area around the convergence ICs, there is likely a poor solder connections close by on one of the resistors. A good magnifying glass helps with this you might even see a bad solder connection. You usually don't have to remove the solder from these other points, just apply fresh solder to the existing joints (try not to add too much solder or you may create a solder bridge between points that shouldn't connect together).

It is possible that it might be one of the ICs failing internally, I've seen it happen before, but most of the time it's just a poor connection somewhere.

If you resolder the area and this doesn't repair it, then you can go to the expense of changing the ICs -- Dan

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Rockstar
User

Jul 10, 2009, 5:50 PM

Post #14 of 28 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Well thanks for all the help. I still couldnt make it work after resoldering anround the IC area. So most likely it could be the IC Chip thats failing cause when i resolder all the leads of the IC's its worked for about 3 days. During that resoldering i may have made the lead recontacted inside the IC chip.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 12, 2009, 1:47 AM

Post #15 of 28 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Rockstar;...

So most likely it could be the IC Chip thats failing cause when i resolder all the leads of the IC's its worked for about 3 days.During that resoldering i may have made the lead recontacted inside the IC chip.

My conclusion also....

IF you decide to replace conv IC's,I have 3 pieces of advice for you...
#1;...Replace BOTH IC's....
#2;...Do NOT use cheap generic IC's....You'll be asking for trouble with them...
#3;...I reccommend you get Sanyo replacements....
GOOD LUCK.....Sly.....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

bumpin_records
New User

Jul 17, 2009, 5:06 PM

Post #16 of 28 (3945 views)
Shortcut

This is a good post.I really can use you guys help here as money is too tight to buy a new tv. I have a samsung 55" hd projector tv also and i was having the same problem. I changed both IC's, Put it all back together now the TV have a teacup image meaning the top and bottom corners are higher then the center top and bottom. If needed I will post a picture and when i adjust the convergence, I can adjust the red but the blue will not move when i try to adjust it.

(This post was edited by bumpin_records on Jul 17, 2009, 5:24 PM)

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009, 7:54 PM

Post #17 of 28 (3937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bumpin_records] Samsung Convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

Check the solder connections on the ICs you've changed, there also could be a resistor near the ICs that has opened or changed values (you will need a meter to check the resistor values. -- Dan

Learn Plasma TV Repair

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 18, 2009, 12:18 AM

Post #18 of 28 (3935 views)
Shortcut

Could be missing a supply voltage - blown fuse?

bumpin_records
New User

Jul 18, 2009, 6:52 AM

Post #19 of 28 (3930 views)
Shortcut

ok I will take the board back out and recheck the IC's. Now about the resistors by the IC's what are the values of those resistors or how can i find out the values? thanks alot for your help.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 18, 2009, 8:37 AM

Post #20 of 28 (3928 views)
Shortcut

Unless they are charred beyond recognition, they should all be marked.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009, 4:06 PM

Post #21 of 28 (3926 views)
Shortcut

If you check out the link at the top of this post called (Samsung Convergence Repair Tips) it will show you where to look for fuses and resistors. -- Dan

Learn Plasma TV Repair

bumpin_records
New User

Jul 18, 2009, 5:41 PM

Post #22 of 28 (3923 views)
Shortcut

you guys been a lot of help. I indeed have a on board convergence. when i get time i will check the fuses.

bumpin_records
New User

Aug 9, 2009, 1:52 AM

Post #23 of 28 (3879 views)
Shortcut

I checked the solders on the IC's resolder a few. as far as the resistors should any real .000 or .001 ? I found like 3 on the boared not near the IC's but twards the middle. I have the color code chart for the markings on the resistors but some of them kinda hard to tell what color they are.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009, 11:31 AM

Post #24 of 28 (3875 views)
Shortcut

I would have to have the color code to be sure of the value but it is highly possible for there to be resistors of this value. TV manufacturers often use low value resistors as fuses. Some techs call the fusible resistors or fusistors.

Also when a fuse goes bad it is vary rare that they short ('.000' -- '.001') when a resistor goes bad they go high in value or open.

Can you try reading the color code for me or if you can give me the part numbers on the board for the resistors (R???) I can check some of my old chassis and read them myself.

If there are 2 of them reading this value they are likely the resistors they are using as fuses to help protect the convergence ICs. If an IC draws too much current the fuse will go high in value limited the current or even open stopping the current flow.

If you ever study a TV chassis closely you'll find one of these fusistors near most of the major components such as the Vertical IC, the audio output IC etc. often any component on a heat sink you'll find one of these fusible resistors near that area or in line from the power source leading to that component. -- Dan

Want to Learn More about Projection TV Repair? > Click here

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Rockstar
User

Aug 4, 2010, 10:54 PM

Post #25 of 28 (3659 views)
Shortcut

I Replaced both Convergence IC's and its has fix the problem.

So there's something not seen alot, An Intermittent convergence IC.

I thought I posted the out come of the replaced IC's, when I changed them But guess not, But hear it is now.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)