Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung HCR-4351W

Samsungowner
New User

Sep 16, 2006, 3:58 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Samsung HCR-4351W Can't Post

I purchased a samsung RPTV in early July 2006 and about one week later I noticed some rectangular reflections on the top part of the screen, at about the same time the convergence was way off and couldn't set it correctly in the manual convergence menu, I called the store where I bought it and a few days later a tech came to my house and looked at it, I told him that the TV had shut itself off when I presses the self focus button, he tried to adjust the convergence in the user menu, and said he needed to take some photos of the reflection on the screen, so he came back a few days later and took a few photos, 2 or 3 days later I got a call from the tech saying that according to samsung the reflection was expected on these sets and that nothing could be done, he then came back and tried to fix the self focus problem, he fiddled around the service menu for a few minutes and told me that the TV had some problems. He came around a 3rd time with a new pcb board and replaced that, and told me the geometry was off too, he took the TV back to the shop because he didn't have the proper equipment to reset the geometry, a few days later he brought the TV back and said everything had been tested and that it was ok. I turned the TV on and the reflections on the screen were even worse, plus I now have some faint vertical lines all over the screen but mostly noticeable on the left and right sides, I couldn't have him look at it cos he was out the door in a flash, so I popped in the DVE DVD and judging from the patterns, it does not seem to be correctly set, so I called back the store and tried to see what my options were, only to be replied " according to Samsung the TV works within accepted parameters" So I kinda felt real bad, and explained that what I was seeing on my screen was not acceptable to me, at times it almost looks like an old movie, the customer service department replied with a " you're only option now is to sell it and buy a better one" unreal..
So if there is anyone out there who can figure out what those symptoms indicate I'd really appreciate some expert opinion.
Thanks

techchris
Veteran

Sep 17, 2006, 3:36 PM

Post #2 of 3 (994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Samsungowner] Samsung HCR-4351W [In reply to] Can't Post

when you say reflections do you mean a different shade or a different picture? it may be a broken mirror in the tv or something on one of the lenses.if its under warrenty then get the repair tech back to sort it.that does not sound normal to me, having worked on tv's for years. dont accept bullshit

Samsungowner
New User

Sep 17, 2006, 6:38 PM

Post #3 of 3 (990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Samsung HCR-4351W [In reply to] Can't Post

The reflections look as though a flashlight is shone from inside the TV and bouncing back in rectangular shapes on the top part, center and upper center left of the screen.
Obvious when watching widescreen DVD’s, and less apparent in full screen movies, but still you can tell that the picture is lighter in those areas almost as if smudged out or blurry.
It very noticeable while using the self focus feature, you can see the rectangles moving about with the self focus cursor.
Also the faint vertical lines that I was seeing on the screen, I actually figured that part out, this may help others, the cause being a low quality S-Video cable, replaced that with a better quality and much shorter cable and …voila no more lines.
Thanks for your input

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)