Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung HL T4675S

jedana
New User

Aug 28, 2008, 9:59 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2443 views)
Shortcut
Samsung HL T4675S Can't Post

I bought the Samsung HLT4675S in Nov 06. Ran great, moved to FL in Dec 07; almost immediately the bulb went out. So we replaced it. In February, the bulb broke (filament snapped) so we replaced it. In April, the bulb again broke, went with a different dealer and replaced it. In early July, the bulb broke again, and the dealer sent a replacement. We were out of town for 2 weeks, so the tv was not used, came back and 3 weeks later, the bulb breaks!
The bulbs aren't just burning out (except for the first one); there is physical breakage to the glass and the housing has heat damage as well. We get the three lights blinking on the front of the tv, sound for a little bit, no picture and then the tv tries to cycle itself on and off; I have to leave it unplugged to stop it from doing that.
Samsung won't do anything, since it is out of warranty, except refer us to a repair shop (but Samsung has no idea if they are still open or how much they charge--even for a service call). I really can't afford to spend a lot of money replacing the bulbs, looking for something which may or may not be broken.
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the bulbs to break so quickly? Is there an issue with this model (I've searched, can't find anything, but the Googlefu is not strong in this one)? Is there anything I can do to fix this problem, or should I just scrap it and go buy a different tv (much much smaller tv Frown)?
Thanks for your help!

techchris
Veteran

Aug 28, 2008, 11:36 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jedana] Samsung HL T4675S [In reply to] Can't Post

check the cooling fan is running and the vents and any filters are not blocked

jedana
New User

Aug 28, 2008, 11:41 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Samsung HL T4675S [In reply to] Can't Post

No blockage, it's set out about a foot from the wall, on a stand, no sides or top. The fan runs, but I don't think it's powerful enough. If I put a fan outside the set, pointed at the back or the side where the bulb is, would that help?
Thanks for the reply.

techchris
Veteran

Aug 28, 2008, 11:52 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2436 views)
Shortcut

it may help but it is not addressing the issue.either you have been supplied crappy cheap lamps (common) or it is overheating which needs investigating. also dont touch the glass when you fit it as skin oils can shorten the lamp life.have you looked inside to check for fluff and dust which will effect the fan's efficiency?

jedana
New User

Aug 28, 2008, 1:16 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Samsung HL T4675S [In reply to] Can't Post

We use the gloves that are sent with the bulbs when we install it. I have not looked inside yet, I'll do that today. I'll clean it out, install the new lamp, and go from there.
I used the dealer that Samsung recommended (when I called them the first time) for the first 2 lamps; we went to DLP Lamp Source for the last 2 (one purchased, one free due to warranty). Any other recommendations on where to get the lamps?

jedana
New User

Aug 28, 2008, 3:33 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Ok, I took off the bottom back panel, vaccuumed it out. Replaced the panel, plugged it in. I saw a blue/purple flash and heard a sizzling noise from behind the fan. The fan was moving. I unplugged it, took out the light and plugged it in; the flash and sound were coming from the lamp ballast (?) under the fan.
Is that something we can replace ourselves, or does a repairman need to do it? If we can do it, does anyone have a link to a site with How to do it? Thanks!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)