Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony 36" Trinitron

goliffw
New User

Aug 9, 2005, 1:51 AM

Post #1 of 13 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Sony 36" Trinitron Can't Post

Got a Sony 36" trinitron doing funny stuff. I think it's the tuner. First characterization: Sound stays the same but channel changes on its own. Several channels get switched to the same channel. Second characterization: picture splits in two horizontally and switches to another channel; sound stays with original channel.

mel
Veteran

Aug 9, 2005, 5:18 AM

Post #2 of 13 (2309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goliffw] Sony 36" Trinitron [In reply to] Can't Post

Model Number????????????????????????????? Have you checked for a stuck switch either on the set or the remote?.

goliffw
New User

Aug 9, 2005, 9:59 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Sony 36" Trinitron [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Hi Mel, Can't find any stuck switches. Model Number is KV-36HS20. Problem may have cleared itself. Been running through the channels a lot and problem has not reappeared. Bill

mel
Veteran

Aug 10, 2005, 4:57 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2285 views)
Shortcut

It prolly was a stuck switch which cleared itself.

goliffw
New User

Aug 10, 2005, 5:15 PM

Post #5 of 13 (2275 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mel, What kind of switches are in the tuner? Or, maybe this is a switch in the remote control. I'm familiar with reed switches on satellites. Are these mechanical or electrical switches? If electrical, do they have some moving parts? I assume the tuner is an electrical stepper switch with no moving parts. The steppers with moving parts require regular exercise to stay cleared and keep the contacts clean. If there are no moving parts, how does an electrical switch clear itself? Bill

mel
Veteran

Aug 10, 2005, 10:31 PM

Post #6 of 13 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Actually, I was addressing the TV switches, i.e., channel/down. If you are not careful when spraying glass cleaner on the tube, the cleaner can seep into these switches and the resultant corrosion will cause them to become sticky. Sometimes just activating the switch a few times will free it up as I suspect happened in your case. Though less common, it could also be one of the switches on the remote.

goliffw
New User

Aug 10, 2005, 10:58 PM

Post #7 of 13 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Mel. I'll keep em dry. I not aware of any liquid getting on the screen or the remote. But it could have happened. Will write if problem recurrs. Bill

goliffw
New User

Aug 10, 2005, 11:20 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Mel, Just one more question: is there a website like this for very old, old, and new radios? Bill

mel
Veteran

Aug 11, 2005, 11:39 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2259 views)
Shortcut

Not that I'm aware of but I do not work on radios so i haven't looked.

goliffw
New User

Aug 12, 2005, 4:46 AM

Post #10 of 13 (2255 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mel, My problem is back! I switched to the two screen mode. Tuned to two different channels. Watched the screen on the left. The picture on the right jumped into the left screen but the sound remained correct. Then, the picture jumped back. At one point, the picture disappeared from the right screen and stayed only on the left. What a strange failure mode. Still could be a stuck switch. I pointed the remote away from the screen. Nothing happened. Nothing changed. Still sounds to me like a bad tuner. Bill

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 12, 2005, 10:35 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2239 views)
Shortcut

I cant see the tuner being an issue here, the tuner would only drift etc you are complaining of switching and logic issues, I think thats whede you should look, Is the 5V line correct. Sony is famed for bad solder so check around the painter chip.

mel
Veteran

Aug 12, 2005, 10:47 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2239 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like it is time to call your local repair shop!

minehunter
User

Aug 14, 2005, 2:20 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2228 views)
Shortcut

I'd be willing to bet that glass cleaner has seeped down on to the pc board that has the switches on it. What i tell everyone is to spray your cleaner on the cloth and then wipe down the screen. I don't know how many corroded boards i have seen in the past 10 years because of windex or other cleaners.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)