Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony KDFE42A10

valleyjim
New User

Nov 10, 2012, 11:21 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Sony KDFE42A10 Can't Post

I have a Sony KDFE42A10 and am having a problem with it.

I had to replace the bulb and that seemed to go well. New bulb slid right in and I got the door replaced tight and all seemed well. However, when I try to turn the set on the red LED on the front blinks three times. According to the manual this is a problem with the bulb, that I just replaced.

I have seen some info that suggests that there may be one or two sensors that can also cause this error.

Does anyone have any more info on this? If that is not the case then what could I have done wrong replacing the bulb? Also, I was looking for a service manual for this particular model and cannot find one anywhere, I am very comfortable with electronics and would love to get a manual so I can try to fix this myself instead of paying someone else to do the work that I can probably handle myself if I can get the right info.

Thanks for reading everything!
Jim

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2012, 8:03 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [valleyjim] Sony KDFE42A10 [In reply to] Can't Post

On your TV set where the lamp goes, is there an inner door & an outer door? If so, the inner door has a piece in the center that you have to turn clockwise to lock it in place, it has to turn far enough to activate a safety switch before lamp will light.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

valleyjim
New User

Nov 12, 2012, 5:56 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Sony KDFE42A10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmmm....... When I look at the door, all I see is the knob with a very small piece of plastic that only looks to hold the knob.

I got this set from a friend and was getting the flashing led and replaced the bulb. Is there something else that should be on the door?

Is there somewhere that I can buy a new door to see if that is the problem?

Thanks for the response and any help that you can provide.

Jim

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2012, 6:55 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1055 views)
Shortcut

If you can take a few pictures of the area where the lamp goes & email them to me I will point out a way you can maybe get it up & running (for free) without the door.

This door is just a safety feature (put there for the stupid people) so that someone doesn't open the lamp compartment & reach in while the lamp in running... As long as the TV is for you & you are aware that you don't reach in there while the set is running, then I can explain how to simply bypass this safety feature.

You can find my email by clicking on my user-name. I get a lot of emails per day from people requesting help so please provide as much detail as you can with the email (model number, symptoms etc.) & refer to our conversation here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 12, 2012, 9:03 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut

valleyjim;....

A BIG FYI;...

BEFORE you do ANY bypassing here , PLEASE take note;....
Where did you get the "New" lamp from ???
Is it a "GENERIC" ????
Is it a cheap discounted lamp ???
Unless you got a "good QUALITY" lamp from a reputable source , you could very possibly have a BAD NEW lamp !!!!
Generic lamps are as bad as generic convergence ICs...
Time & time again , posters buy cheap lamps & they will not work properly or are short lived...

Good Luck....Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

valleyjim
New User

Nov 13, 2012, 5:30 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Sony KDFE42A10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up Ron. This is a new Sony bulb. Not sure if it means anything but I did a continuity test on both, The old failed the new passed.

As I said, not sure if that means anything or not but figured what the heck...

Thanks for the reply!
Jim

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)