Sony KDL-32L4000

schlitz_420th
New User

Dec 26, 2010, 4:32 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2358 views)
Shortcut
Sony KDL-32L4000 Can't Post

Hello!
I have a Sony KDL-32L4000 and the picture has a problem. I plugged a laptop into the VGA connector on the television and the laptop had a bad LCD. The laptop locked up with a weird picture that had the colors dragged in vertical lines from the top to the bottom of the bottom 5/6 of the screen (the top 1/6 menu bar stayed fine).
Upon power cycling the TV the picture continued to have this problem regardless of the input. The bottom 5/6 of the screen continues to have the problem while the top 6th stays almost perfect. Sometimes when you first turn on the television all you can see is a distinct line at the 5/6 mark that does not go away and the picture is fine, however within a few minutes from the line down the pictures starts looking like it has vertical control issues with a ghost of the image on screen moving up and down constantly, sometimes the bottom 6th of the screen locks in a mostly white ghost and stays that way obstructing even the bad picture that occupies the middle 4/6 of the screen.
I have seen many other people with this same problem with this and similar models of this television. I saw many suggestions regarding replacing the T CON board but I never saw anyone saying it resolved the problem and I found at least one saying it did not. The repair fee from my local authorized Sony repair shop is $285 and when you can get a new 32 for about $350-$400 it just does not seem worth it unless I can fix it myself.
Can anyone make a suggestion regarding what they think is wrong with the unit and what parts I should (or should not) attempt to replace? I have been building computers for years and working on electronics even longer so I feel comfortable in attempting the repair however I do not know which part or parts I should try on this issue.
The shop offers to diagnose the problem for $50 and I considered going that route for a reliable diagnosis of what parts it needs but I fear they may not be that specific and/or the estimate may be incorrect and they would only find that out through process of elimination once they have my TV.
Thank you very much in advnce for any help or advice that you may have to offer me!!!!!Smile

thetechmagnet
New User

Dec 27, 2010, 10:12 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schlitz_420th] Sony KDL-32L4000 [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sony BRAVIA KDL-32L4000 has 32 inch LCD screen.Its digital television certificate is HDTV.The tv tuner of this product is a one analog/digital combo.The video interface on the other hand is HDMI,S-Video,component and composite.The PC interface of the tv is VGA(HD-15).Other than that,the dimensions of the product are such that the width is 31.8 inches,depth is 3.9 inches,height is 21.5 inches and the weight is 29.8 pounds.
electronic gadgets
future technology

oppo bdp-80

darstr
User

Dec 29, 2010, 10:58 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schlitz_420th] Sony KDL-32L4000 [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy I say bad panel

schlitz_420th
New User

Jan 8, 2011, 4:38 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Sony KDL-32L4000 [In reply to] Can't Post

The shop I took it to wanst $785 to fix it, lol

They say it is the panel....

In Reply To

(This post was edited by schlitz_420th on Jan 8, 2011, 4:39 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)