Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony TV Flickering

mallik
New User

Sep 29, 2006, 6:01 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1823 views)
Shortcut
Sony TV Flickering Can't Post

I'll try my best to explain the problem. You know that flash of black that you get when you change channels? That's what I get when I turn on the TV even though I don't do anything. It flashes black as if the channels are going to change. At first when it happened it just flashed a few times (but the channels never changed) whenever I turned on the TV and then stopped so I figured no big deal. Progressively it got worse and worse where the flashing would be more frequent and it would take longer for the flashing to stop. It's as if the TV has to warm up or something.

Sorry, I hope that explain the problem well. Does it seem like a major problem to fix or could it be a loose connection or something? I don't want to put much more money into it seeing how it's fairly old. The model is Sony KV-32S20. Any help would be appreciated.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2006, 6:53 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mallik] Sony TV Flickering [In reply to] Can't Post

Your TV probably has a weak pix tube and the auto RGB circuit can'tcompensate. Look on the back of your set for manufacture date, and if it is more than 10 years old, it's time to renew.

mallik
New User

Sep 29, 2006, 8:35 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Sony TV Flickering [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, the TV is about 10 years old, so are you saying it's finished? Because I talked to a repair guy and explained the problem over the phone. He said he could fix it for about $100 which is why I was wondering if it's an easy fix that I could maybe do myself.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2006, 9:13 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1805 views)
Shortcut

He is probably going to rejuvanate the pix and that will last a while but not for long term. His price sounds a bit steep for that job if that is what he intends to do!

mallik
New User

Oct 2, 2006, 3:55 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1785 views)
Shortcut

That sounds very possible actually because he first quoted me 175 and I said that's too much for me to spend, so then he said he could do it for 140. I told him I'd think about it and then 10 mins. later he called me back and said he would do it for 100.

What is exactly involved with rejuvinating the pix and how much should that go for? Also, how long could I expect that to last? Is there another more permanent solution?

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2006, 5:56 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1780 views)
Shortcut

It is done with a test instrument, the only permanent solution is a new picture tube.

mel
Veteran

Oct 2, 2006, 9:35 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1777 views)
Shortcut

There are two alternate fixes you might want to try first. Try turning up the screen voltage. If that tube is not to far gone, it should give you a lot more service. You can also boost the heater voltage by jumpering across the heater resistor (probably R607).

mallik
New User

Nov 25, 2006, 11:36 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Sony TV Flickering [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I opened up the TV and there were two screws labelled "screen" and "focus"

I fiddled around with them for a bit. The "focus" screw didn't seem to make any difference as I was turning it. When I slowly turned the "screen" screw the flickering stopped. The only problem was that if I turned the screw enough, the flickering stopped but these faint horizontal lines appeared on the screen. They weren't really noticable unless the screen was dark and I was up close. I turned the screw back and forth to try and find a balance between the flickering stopping and lines disappearing. It was hard and I'm still working on it. I'm still not sure what the "focus" screw did.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)