TV Problem

Replay13
New User

Sep 19, 2011, 3:29 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1128 views)
Shortcut
TV Problem Can't Post

Hi,
A friend of mine has a HDTV and cable. It was all working fine for 3 yrs. Now it gets all the HD channels but only shows a red curtain on all the standard definition channels. The cable company swapped out the box and it still has the same problem.
Any ideas?
Thanks, James

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 20, 2011, 3:01 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Replay13] TV Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Add a green and a blue curtain (at the correct color saturations) and you'll be all set.

-------------------------

Replay13
New User

Sep 20, 2011, 5:46 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] TV Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. If your serious can you explain that in more detail? It is a Hitachi rear projection tv. All the HD channels comes in with a good picture, but the SD channels don't have a picture, only a red curtain.
Thanks,
James

mel
Veteran

Sep 20, 2011, 7:34 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut

I don't want to speak for jt but I think that what he is saying is "what the H is a red curtain?". Are you running the cabe input thru the TV tuner or thru the audio/video input jacks on the TV?

Replay13
New User

Sep 21, 2011, 4:43 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] TV Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the input. I'm going over tomorrow to look at it. She said it had the multi flat wire that the cable company uses for HD from the cable box to the tv. I think its called colorstream input on my tv.

I'm not sure if it will make any difference but I going to take over a HDMI cord over and see that makes any difference.

As for the red curtain, I asked her if it was just a red screen and she said, no.. that it was just like a picture of a stage curtain that was all red. Thats a new one on me. But I don't see very many tvs.

She said all the HD channels comes in perfect but when she changes to any of the SD channels that it was always the red curtain, but she did have sound.

I asked her if she had another cable box we could try, and she said the cable company swapped out her box and it was the same.

I'm guessing that somewhere in the input of the tv its not sensing the change to 480i but as for the red curtain I have no idea. I did a google search for tv and red curtain and nothing like that came up.

I was just hoping that someone had seen this problem before and might have some input.

Thanks again,
James

mel
Veteran

Sep 21, 2011, 6:31 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1074 views)
Shortcut

The first thing that I would do is try using the audio video input jacks which bypasses the tuner/ input circuits and goes directly to the audio and video amps.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)