TV wont start

Heat28
New User

Nov 11, 2009, 10:34 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2073 views)
Shortcut
TV wont start Can't Post

Good afternoon,
Yesturday I turned on my TV (Hitachi 62" HDTV projection, dont know model and got it used a couple of years ago) and noticed that the convergence was off 'cause there was a green outline around every image on the TV and made it look like it was 3D. I tried the magic focus and did not work. The green was completely off! I then took off the screen to see If I can try to manually focus and that did not work either. I was looking through the green lens and noticed that it was blurry with lines going through it. I took off the lens to clean it then I took off the back panel to see the boards underneath and noticed there was a lose connection to the green CRT. Then I went to the front of the TV and looked through the lens and it was fine until I notcied that the coolant was coming out not realizing that it was not scwered in and then a couple of mins later the TV shut off on its own. Tried to turn on again and then it shut off within 2 secs. Everytime I turn it on it shuts off right away. The worst of luck. What can be the problem? I looked at the boards underneath and it does not look like any coolant dropped except for the coolant that ran down the wire from the CRT. I dried off the coolant with a rag on the wires. Worst case is that a drop or two might have dropped on the board. Could this preventing my TV to turn on? If coolant dropped on the board and it dries, will my TV turn on then? Any assisstance will be greatly appreciated!!!

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 12, 2009, 12:33 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Heat28] TV wont start [In reply to] Can't Post

If you do proper research you will discover that the coolant IS conductive!Angelic

Unless set is HOT (stolen) it WILL have a sticker on the back with Model number. Info is also posted inside the set, or did those "disappear" too?Tongue

I took off the lens to clean it

What can be the problem?

You did it to yourself...

-------------------------

Heat28
New User

Nov 12, 2009, 1:57 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] TV wont start [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply, I got the info from the back of the TV. It is Hitachi with model# 61UWX10B. After further review I looked under the CRTs and their was a drop or two of coolant on the board underneath in just one small area of about 1 square inch. Can this be preventing my TV to turn on? It would turn on with no problems and then when I noticed the coolant spilling out is when it actually shut off for the 1st time and will not turn on since. If this is the reason, when the coolant drys.... will my TV turn on again? Any help will be of great assisstance.Smile

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 12, 2009, 3:59 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2059 views)
Shortcut

conductive - having the quality or power of conducting heat or electricity or sound; exhibiting conductivity.

Think of it as "liquid solder."

Can this be preventing my TV to turn on?

YES - it may have even caused signals and voltages that don't belong together - to get together.

If this is the reason, when the coolant drys.... will my TV turn on again?

I will take a very, very long time to evaporate. Better to remove it. Treat very much like a spill of anti-freeze (same toxicity). Clean up majority with cotton towel by dabbing (so it doesn't start spreading to unaffected areas). Once excess removed dampen a fresh area of same towel with alcohol (even water will work) and clean up remainder.Wink

Heat28
New User

Nov 12, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Amazing, now it turns on. Thank you so muchSmile!!!! Now I just gotta find away to get coolant. Do you think any local electronic repair store will carry coolant? I figure If I dont replace the coolant that came out, the tube will overheat. Once I replace the coolant, will the TVs convergence still be ok?

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 12, 2009, 11:14 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2043 views)
Shortcut

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/...Y-1915-16SQ-/20-4275

If convergence was OK before - should be OK after.Smile

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2009, 12:48 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2039 views)
Shortcut

What started as a simple convergance problem has now turned into a major mess, clean all coolant it is not "Like" antifreese it IS antifreze and will not evaporate or go away on its own , if left on boards it destroys them, if left on high voltage curcuits it has a tendicy to start the set on fire. But Hitachi does make a kit ( X480293 ) that has every part you will need to fix the convergance problem
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

Heat28
New User

Nov 17, 2009, 8:54 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] TV wont start [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx for the reply. The TV starts now after I cleaned it up. I know where to get the repair kit, however is it easy to do or is it time consuming? I am good with repairing things. After the TV turned on I noticed the green was still off and could not fix with magic focus or trying to do manually. The picture looks 3D with about a foot of green outline around every image. What is your advise?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)