Toshiba 2987DB

Bradders
New User

Sep 9, 2005, 9:52 AM

Post #1 of 14 (2654 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba 2987DB Can't Post

Hi There,

I have had this Toshiba 2987DB for 6 years with no trouble. For the last month, when I switch it on, it works fine for around 15 minutes, then the screen goes blue and it powers off, with only the green timer light flashing and the standby LED on. To switch it back on, I need to completely power off, then on again, and I get another 5-15 minutes before it happens again.

I have see a couple of identical posts on this model in archives, but no solutions, can someone please help me fix this?

Many Thanks

Graham Bradshaw

Wiz
User

Sep 9, 2005, 6:45 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradders] Toshiba 2987DB [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like heater to cathode short or cathode to grid short. if you have access to a multimeter, put 6v into the heater pins, and then after your 15 mins, check to see if this is shorting and to which pin.

It is more likely that it is heater cathode, in which case, score a break in the heater tracks on the tube board to isolate them. then take a piece of wire, and take 2 turns around the flyback transformer and connect the ends of this wire to isolated heater pins.

Oliver

Wiz
User

Sep 9, 2005, 11:24 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheOW] Toshiba 2987DB [In reply to] Can't Post

It could also be that the resistor on the 200v line to the blue cathode on the tube board has gone open circuit. If you can, check this resistor.

Bradders
New User

Sep 10, 2005, 11:35 PM

Post #4 of 14 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Cool Thanks for that. Can you give me some more information as to how to 'wrap 2 loops around the flyback transformer? (Insulated/bare, what gauge, what part of transformer), and where to reconnect? I may be misreading your post, but if I isolate the heater pins, then attach a wire which only loops twice through the flyback, surely the heater pins would be redundant?

Are there any websites which show generic TV setups?

First time experience with a TV - (Obviously!!)

I'm really keen to repair this, would do my home cred a lot of good, so please write back (with instructions for dummies!)

Wiz
User

Sep 10, 2005, 11:56 PM

Post #5 of 14 (2622 views)
Shortcut

When I did it, I just used a bit of mains wire, wraped around the flyback, underneath the ferite core. Only do 2 winds though, even though the output of these leads is much less than 6v when measured on AC meter. This is because the wave form of the flyback isn't sinusoidal. The ends of the wires, you connect to the heater track of the tube board, between the pins and the break in the track.

Disconecting the heaters, and puting them through your own 'mini transformer' completely isolates the heaters from ground. This will fix the problem because the 200v on the cathode, is being pulled down to 6v, thereby making the difference between the cathode and anode greater, and therefore making one colour very bright. By isolating the heaters, when the short occurs, the heaters will be brought up to the 200v. Because this is 200v has no current, the heaters see the 200v as 0v, so to them the alternating 6v from the 2 turns is still as normal.

Hope this helps,

Oliver

Bradders
New User

Sep 11, 2005, 1:00 AM

Post #6 of 14 (2620 views)
Shortcut

SmileBrilliant. I think I've got most of the procedure clear in my head. Before I cut the heater tracks though, Can I just confirm that they are the 2 uppermost pins on the 'circle' of pins attaching the CRT to the PCB , and both marked 'H'.

Wiz
User

Sep 11, 2005, 9:15 AM

Post #7 of 14 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Yes they should be the ones.

Also, when saying mains lead, I only used one of the inside wires, not the whole cable.

Bradders
New User

Sep 11, 2005, 10:48 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2610 views)
Shortcut

Crazy OK, I did this today. The good news is it still powered up and I got a picture. The bad news is it only lasted a couple of minutes, then the screen went blue with diagonal white lines, and it powered off again. Back to square one.

Anything else I can try?

Many Thanks

Graham

Wiz
User

Sep 11, 2005, 8:35 PM

Post #9 of 14 (2603 views)
Shortcut

it may be that the heater tracks werent properly cut, but also could be that the heater is earthed in the tube, in which case, you would need to isolate the ground pin too. however check this out first, as im not sure that this could be a good thing. other than this, the cathode could be shorted to grid. if possible, you should try to get hold of a multimeter, and check to see which pins are shorting.

If some one else could coment on this post, that would be great.

mel
Veteran

Sep 11, 2005, 9:45 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Check my reply to soko on 9/9. Although his post was on a Zenith, the principle is the same.

Bradders
New User

Sep 18, 2005, 3:33 PM

Post #11 of 14 (2570 views)
Shortcut

OK, I've checked the cut tracks, and they are definately properly cut. The fault symptom has changed slightly since I have done this. Now, the TV only works fine for a few minutes, before going blue, with some 'just off horizontal' lines across the screen. When this happens, you can almost make out the TV picture behind the solid blue. It can stay like this for a few minutes before going into standby with the green timer light flashing as before.

Any other ideas?

Graham

mel
Veteran

Sep 18, 2005, 9:31 PM

Post #12 of 14 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Did you check the voltage on pin 11 of the CRT? If it is 0, but have a problem in the blue drive circuit which needs to be corrected.

Bradders
New User

Sep 29, 2005, 9:20 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Toshiba 2987DB [In reply to] Can't Post

I have now been quoted £42 for a new CRT control board for this TV. How likely is it that my problem lies within this board?

thanks

Graham

mel
Veteran

Sep 29, 2005, 9:36 PM

Post #14 of 14 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Your money might be better spent getting a professional to pinpoint the component rather than replacing the board which may or may not be the problem.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)