Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Toshiba 36ZP18Q

jamestv
New User

Sep 24, 2007, 2:51 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1608 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba 36ZP18Q Can't Post

TV goes into standby randomly, especially when switched on from cold, worse while receiving terrestrial channels via tuner. There are no obvious dry joints nor does it affected by application of "Freeze it".
Your advice and pointer will be most appreciated.
A circuit diagram will be most helpful.

techchris
Veteran

Sep 24, 2007, 4:18 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jamestv] Toshiba 36ZP18Q [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a tosh doing that about a year ago and it turned out to be intermittent crt flashover.try running it with the tube base pulled off.make sure it does not dangle down and touch anything else.

mel
Veteran

Sep 24, 2007, 11:56 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1595 views)
Shortcut

My brother-in-law had a similar problem a while back. It turned out to be a bad microprocessor.

jamestv
New User

Sep 26, 2007, 9:49 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Toshiba 36ZP18Q [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a new user to this site, I am amazed the prompt response, thankyou.
I tried temporarily disconnected the tube base-board without success to isolate the problem.

jamestv
New User

Sep 26, 2007, 9:55 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Toshiba 36ZP18Q [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your pointer, I certainly will look into this. I presume my problem lies within the low voltage areas, thus a circuit diagram will be of great help.

techchris
Veteran

Sep 27, 2007, 8:31 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1565 views)
Shortcut

intermittent faults are always a nightmare.its often a process of elimination.have you prodded around with an insulated plastic stick to check for bad solder joints or loose connections?also unplug the remote sensor board in case its receiving random signals.does the tv do anything odd before it goes to standby?

rrobor
Veteran

Sep 27, 2007, 12:24 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Cutting out when cold suggests to me the supply is running rough, Check all the electrolytics in the supply, one may be hi ESR.

jamestv
New User

Sep 28, 2007, 11:17 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Toshiba 36ZP18Q [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks again for your interesting observation. I even borrowed a broom stick to prod around for the offending culprit(sorry for the joke).The reason why I suspect the fault lies within the signal processing areas; a)- TV goes into standby much sooner via the turner but can run for hours while signal through scart connections. b)- The trouble may be teletext circuit connected, sometimes the picture corrupted by some unintelligible blocks of codes on the screen. c)- The problem may be linked with the loss of remote control as you suggested.
By the way, the remote control boad, is it the one directly behind the TV manual control panel and where the on-off relay is?(Board PB9952)

jamestv
New User

Sep 28, 2007, 11:24 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Toshiba 36ZP18Q [In reply to] Can't Post

That was my initial intuition, thanks, I probably will revisit those potential culprits again.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)