Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Toshiba 42AV500U keeps cycling, turning itself off and on

dcaine
New User

Nov 20, 2013, 5:16 AM

Post #1 of 5 (19890 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba 42AV500U keeps cycling, turning itself off and on Can't Post

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some input on a problem I'm having with my Toshiba 42AV500U.

For the last few days, every time I use it, it inevitably turns itself off (the light remains red, indicating that it still has power). Then the TV turns itself back on (green light and picture) for a short time, before repeating the process.

I'm out of warranty and it would cost $75 just to get it inspected, before even getting an estimate on the cost of a repair. I figure that it's a strong possibility that it's the power supply that's acting up, which I could quite easily replace, which would cost $75 to buy online.

I think that it's a pretty good gamble, for the cost of a mere inspection I might be able to fix the TV myself. The picture is still great, ports are all working fine... I even opened it up to check out if maybe it was dusty inside but it was surprisingly clean already.

Does anyone have any input as to what the problem might be, or if I'm on the right track in thinking that a new power supply board might be the right option?

Thanks in advance :)

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2013, 7:39 AM

Post #2 of 5 (19886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dcaine] Toshiba 42AV500U keeps cycling, turning itself off and on [In reply to] Can't Post

This could be something as simple as bad tact switches that control the power on & off, channel up & down, volume up & down etc. on the TV. The fastest test for this would be to turn the TV on then disconnect the plug going to the board containing the tact switches.

If this corrects your problem you might be able to just leave that board disconnected & just us the remote control from now on.

Some TVs have the remote control sensor on the same board as the tact switches, if your TV is like that then the remote will not work either but if the remote control sensor is on a separate board then the trick of unplugging the board with the tact switches will work.

If unplugging the tact switches doesn't solve the power on & off issue then this could be power supply, but before buying another power supply you could likely repair that one (with my guidance) for much less if you have some basic soldering skills.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Nov 22, 2013, 2:44 AM)

dcaine
New User

Nov 20, 2013, 6:07 PM

Post #3 of 5 (19874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Toshiba 42AV500U keeps cycling, turning itself off and on [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Repair Man, thanks for your reply! That does sound like a very possible solution, there was one time where the input selection menu came up randomly (that was only one time, closer to when the problem was just starting so I wrote it off and forgot about it). I'll take a look tonight when I get home from work.

I really appreciate your help and insight! Thanks very much.

dcaine
New User

Nov 21, 2013, 6:56 AM

Post #4 of 5 (19864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Toshiba 42AV500U keeps cycling, turning itself off and on [In reply to] Can't Post

I removed the circuit board for the button panel and that seems to have fixed the problem! The remote still works too :D

It's such a relief to have it fixed, I was really stressed about paying to have it repaired or replaced. I owe you a beer Repair man!

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2013, 2:43 AM

Post #5 of 5 (19847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dcaine] Toshiba 42AV500U keeps cycling, turning itself off and on [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the offer for a beer & although I don't drink your kind gesture is well received! ... I'm happy to help & glad you were able to save some money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)